Front track bar repair (on a budget)

• This is sort of sequel to my previous thread about my death wobble experience and my search for a solution. It turns out that the axle side connection on my OEM front track bar had some movement to it. JeepsterJK and I confirmed it as one of us turned the steering wheel while the other watched the bushing slide left and right just a bit -- enough to be a problem and possible culprit for the death wobble. Scott and I both think that the bolt hole in the fairly thin metal bracket had elongated over time and stress. My suggested solution -- with Scott's nod of approval -- was to fabricate and weld on a beefier piece of steel onto the existing bracket. I know this isn't putting a man on Mars, but I still wanted to share my step by step:

Track bar bracket before the project. The track bar bushing was loose in the bracket.

Another view of the "before" bracket.

Using 1/4" plate, I drilled a hole exactly the size of the new, larger bolt. I did the drilling first, then worried about cutting the metal to fit the space.

The new bolt fit tightly into the new hole in the new reinforcement steel.

Suspending the track bar with safety wire (to not place stress on the other end), I drilled out both the holes on the existing bracket and the metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing.

Good sharp drill bits made this job go more smoothly than I expected. Once drilled, I ran the new bolt into the holes and sleeve to make sure the fit was tight.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=29174[/img]

Another view of the drilling process. I went through six drill bits to get from the existing hole size to the size I needed. Frankly, I went with a Grade 8 bolt that I already happened to have -- which was just the right length.

Angle grinder + cutting wheel + 1/4" steel plate = new bracket. Not too shabby if I may say so.

Once cut, I dry fit the support bracket and bolt before tack welding it in place. At jeepsterJK's suggestion, I tack welded the bracket, then removed the track bar for the final weld so that the rubber didn't get damaged from the heat. Good call, Scott.

Just wanted to show off my little Lincoln Pro MiG 180. I couldn't take a picture of me while I was actually welding because...well... I'm just not that talented.
    [img width=800 height=590]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=29185[/img]

Some primer and paint and...voila! Note that my grinder could not reach the bracket, so I did not clean it up nearly as well as I would have liked.

Another view of the finished product.

Conclusion: I was amazed at the results. I took the TJ for a test spin for several miles and tried my best to recreate the death wobble situation. No wobble. Moreover, the loud and disturbing clank that happened every time I turned hard left or right went away. Even more, my steering wheel is now much tighter. Finally -- and I'm awaiting independent lab results on this -- I think it may have even helped with my receding hairline and post nasal drip. This has been a red letter day!!

Again thanks to all for your thoughts on using an adjustable track bar and/or dual steering. They may still be in my future. I'll know at 5:30 p.m. Sunday if I'm the winner in the eBay bid for the RE adjustable track bar. Special thanks to jeepsterJK for helping me with a hands-on diagnosis.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Not a bad idea. I might have to do this just for the heck of it (good preventative measure). :)

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!