For you geeks out there...

• First things first, any time a product is a called an X-killer I have to groan. The industry just needs to let that phrase die.

My advice to anyone thinking about a tablet is to wait. Around the holiday season there will be several new devices coming out including various Android based devices. When that happens I would look at the ones running Android 3.0 vs the 2.x ones. There are rumors of a second gen ipad with a front camera around the end of the year but it seems a little early considering the first gen came out just a few months ago but it's still possible. I'm going to resist the temptation of starting the iOS vs Android debate. :) Keep an eye on sites like engadget.com and boygeniusreport.com who usually have info on all the new stuff getting ready to hit the streets.

In general, I don't see the need for these other than casual web surfing on the couch and, imho, that doesn't justify the current $500 price tag. On a laptop I have a much larger screen, a much more efficient user interface, unlimited apps and OS flexibility, more/cheaper storage, etc. Tablets have been around for years and never caught on for a reason, I think this is a fad that will pass.

• we have had an ipad since they were released. It doesn't replace a laptop, but for surfing, catching up on tv shows and checking email its great. Truly portable, excellent battery life and the screen is really clear. It depends on how your going to use it, but it was a really good fit for us.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!