rough country lift kit???

• hey just got the money i needed for a lift for my 95 yj finally lol, and was looking into the 4 inch rough country lift kit. saw that i comes with everything youll need to lift it, but was wondering if its a good lift kit to buy?? please give me your thoughts on it so i dont waste my money

• For being less than $500 it's a decent lift, I had it for about 2 years and had no complaints. Your Jeep will ride like a tank but what spring under YJ doesn't haha :doh: . Ran black trails at Rausch with it no problem :up:

• If you don't mind a pretty stiff ride, it's not too bad. I think they have the worst-riding kits in the industry. There are certainly much more comfortable kits available (Rubicon Express and Superlift come to mind for leaf spring kits), but not for the cost.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I have the 4 inch lift on my CJ i have had no problems with it and wheel almost every month at RC. It rides ok on the street but it is a rough ride on the trail. Also the lift ended up closer to 4.5 inches. Everything went on ok and the system was well thought out and easy to install.

• For being less than $500 it's a decent lift, I had it for about 2 years and had no complaints. Your Jeep will ride like a tank but what spring under YJ doesn't haha :doh: . Ran black trails at Rausch with it no problem :up:

x2 :up:

• Keep in mind that a 4 inch lift on a YJ will need a slip yoke eliminator and new rear drive shaft. You might be able to get away with just a transfer case drop but you really won't know until you put it together and see if it has a bad vibration.

he should be fine, they give you a 1" t-case drop and some shims for the rear axle, i had to cut my shims in half though because they gave me the wrong ones :bang:

• hey guys just got the lift kit dropped off at the house and was looking threw it and saw that the shocks dont have any spring or conpression on them and was just wondering if thats how they're suppose to be???

• Do they have a resistance if you try opening and closing them? Only the gas charged (nitrogen) shocks have thatauto extend characteristic. Plain shocks work mostly the same for absorbing road vibrations and are cheaper.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Ok, a little more info now that I have some free time to post. I was on my phone this afternoon. :)

Somewhere on the net is a guide that explains the shock technology but google is a little overloaded with people asking the same question 2000 times on forums instead of looking it up themselves... so I'll try to explain it.

Physically the standard "hydro" and gas charged "nitro" shocks are basically the same. The primary difference is that the the empty "air" space in the shock not occupied by the oil is pressurized nitrogen gas in some shocks. Why? It helps lengthen the life of the shock by keeping the heat down. As the shocks cycle up/down air bubbles are created and friction results in heat. The nitrogen gas pressure makes it harder for the bubbles to form, resulting in less heat. And as more bubbles form, the shock pistons have less resistance so they stop absorbing the bumps. That's known as "shock fade". This is usual for high speed offroad applications where the shocks will be cycling a lot more than usual. All of the high end shocks are nitrogen charged.

Usually, standard shocks will be cheaper and ride smoother than gas charged shocks. Although, there are a lot of very cheap nitro shocks available, I think the Skyjacker shocks are around $40/ea. And, not all shocks are made equal... the amount of gas/pressure varies by company and shock design, along with all of the other internals. So you can't just take a set of $40 Skyjacker nitro shocks and slap them on a full size truck and do the Baja 1000. They'd probably fall apart in under 10 miles. Some of the shocks they use can cost over $2000/ea. Most good quality shocks for the average Jeeper are in the $60-100 range. OME is considered to have the best riding shocks for most guys at around $80/ea.

Jerry / Whatevah

• ok, did some more searching and found this article... http://www.off-roadweb.com/tec…t_truck_shocks/index.html it does a good job of explaining all the extra details of the high end shocks and even includes pictures! ;)

Jerry / Whatevah

• Installed my RC 4" Lift over a year ago without any problems. No abnormal sag
    or anything. I can't compare my ride quality to anything but I'm satisfied with it.
    I'm sure it's not the best out there and there are better quality springs that give
    a better ride but again, I satisfied with it, especially for the price.

There is nothing that can't be fixed if you throw enough money at it,

• hey was goin threw the parts bags to see if i had all that i needed and noticed that there were extra blots and was wondering also what is the 7593bag is used for????

• According to Rough Country's instructions, number 14 states .....
    14. Locate the provided bushings, and sleeves in 7593bag and install into the
    new sway bar link. Install the new sway bar link in the lower factory location on

the stud with stock nut and using the supplied 12mm x 65mm bolts, washers

nuts on the upper mount.

There is nothing that can't be fixed if you throw enough money at it,

• I live down the road from Prices Corner by Panera Bread. Off work on Thursday.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!