Jeep mechanics,help!!

• hello all, well im still looking for a used cherokee for my stepson and found one that has a couple issues, it is overheating, the owner replaced the radiator and all hoses, does this sound like a head gasket, and if so is there anyone out there that would be willing to help me replace it?? i am mechanically inclined, but im no mechanic. i have never done a head gasket and want to do it right. we havnt bought the jeep yet but if we do i want to get this done asap. so if anyone could help with this that would be awesome. its a 2000 cherokee sport and of course it has the 4.0 in it. thanks

• i would check a few things before i pulled the head.has the water pump been checked out?i had one in my shop one time that the fins were gone on the pump,i could take a heater hose off while jeep was running and nothing came out,i blew air through heater core to make sure it was open and it was,or could be a bad thermostat.just something to look at.is there any water in oil,milky?john

• Pull off the water pump and thermostat and flush the engine. Make sure you have the right water pump. The serpentine belt pumps spin opposite the v-belt units.

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• Check the oil for a milky appearance, and get a coolant tester from an auto parts store. Those can check for exhaust mixing with the coolant.

I battled an overeating problem for a while, turned out to be a bad (new) water pump. Never suspected it because it was only a few months old when the problems started.

99+ 4.0L engines are prone to cracking the head if they overheat, so keep an eye on the oil and coolant.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I also had an overheating problem ended up being a loose wire on the electric fan temp. sensor (the fan would not come on when needed . Best way to check is to let the jeep run if the fan does not come on before the dash mounted temp.guage is in the red turn on the a/c the fan should come on .if the fan runs it's the sensor if it doesent its the fan

STRESS: The confusion created when one&#39;s mind<br />overrides the body&#39;s desire to choke the living sh** out of some a**hole WHO desperately needs it.

• haha maybe... stupid phone. Swype is cool but can be annoying.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!