'92 YJ Noise

• Another day, another issue with the YJ! :doh:

Need some help identifying the source of a sound I'm hearing on my '92 YJ 2.5L Manual. Regardless of gear (or neutral), at about 2,000 - 2,500 RPM I'm hearing a squealing/hissing type of noise from the front lower portion of the engine compartment. It's hard to pin point with how loud the Jeep is, but that's the best I can narrow it down. On the way home today it started making a rattling noise, again regardless of gear, but this time whenever any gas was given. Before I could get home and try to locate the source, it's back to the original noise.

Anybody have any ideas based on that limited information? I'm sure I'll end up taking it to a shop, I just like knowing a few possible ideas before I take it in.

• Waterpump or idler pully. Release the belt tension and spin everything to see if something has a bad bearing.

Aaron

• Any votes on Fan Clutch?

fan clutches do fail, when mind died on my 89 2.5, it would make noise (banging klanging) with acceleration.

Could be a cracked exhaust manifold. Or a vacuum or intake leak. (try spraying some either starting fluid around in short burst listencing for an engine rev.)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!