Trail Reports - PAP - 2/20

• Well since I somehow got elected to lead the modified group I guess that means I should write up a report of our (mis)adventures. :spinrhead: Our group consisted of myself w/ Jason (jwalk) as a passenger, Joe (joelove) and his daughter, Ed all by his lonesome in his bling-bling TJ, Matt (claymont hillbilly) and his passenger (didn't get his name), Artie (jeepartie) and his wife Kate, and a straggler we picked up in the PAP staging area (didn't catch his name but a nice guy w/ a capable rig!).

We first headed off following the stocker group down to Rubicon Lake as a warmup...not to mention since this was the first run on my new setup and I had yet to even flex it out I really wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to fall apart. After everyone played on the various lines down into the lake and I climbed up to the ridge to see just how tippy things were we headed off to do the Ed Kostik Signature Edition (TM) version of Whompum where we mix and match different portions backwards and forwards :laughing:

It was close to lunch so we shot down Turtle to the Spring to meet the other group for lunch...the stock/medium group didn't make it so after finishing up we headed off with the intention to head partway up Turtle, cut over the blue loop of 2wd Trail, and hit Rabbit Run on the way to a couple old favorites on Coal Road. Wellllll...it didn't quite play out that way. After getting onto 2wd Trail (which I have a feeling is only rated a blue due to being slippery and pretty off camber) we found that apparently there's still quite a bit of trail clearing needed at PAP as halfway down the trail it was totally obstructed. Not being equipped for trail cutting we decided to head back to Turtle and cut up to Valley of the Dogs then to Coal Road. Being the pros that we are there was some extreme pucker factor in both turning around in such an off camber environment and re-entering Turtle where I think everyone managed to catch some (or alot in Artie and Matt's case) air under the pass. front tire. EDIT: During this exit Ed managed to get himself _Very_ offcamber and came pretty close to being probably the only person to roll a Jeep on Turtle (Happy now Ed?)

After dropping down into the clearly marked entrance to Valley of the Dogs it was readily apparent that this was a bad choice...there are no trail markings, nothing to make it a black, and it deadends. So for the second time of the day we doubled back and with my tail between my legs decided that we'd had enough experimenting and to go hit M trail.

With some bumping and grinding we made it through the first half relatively smoothly (save for Ed having to take the cable from Joe :suspicious: ) and without body damage we were forced to exit via the bypass in order to make it back to the parking area by closing time. Overall a pretty fun day wheeling even with the hiccups...

--Ian

• Good report but you forgot the part about where I almost rolled on Turtle(Yes its a green trail). The small ditch that everyone got air on, I was not so lucky and began to slide. Luckily Joe was close by for a little extra balast. Other than my adventure on M-trail (getting stuck both forward and backward between two rocks) it was a great run. I know i saw tons of air under everyones tires this trip and lots of pinstriping thanks to Ians adventurous trail guiding. I think Artie and atest to that. I will keep you updated on my trail damage, i know there are lots of scrapes and bruises but nothing too major.
    Ed (Glad he got to hone his reverse trail riding skillz)

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Thanks for the update, Ian, I was wondering what you folks did yesterday.

The other group consisted of Keith (Keith_C) and passenger Chris (quadna71), Tony (Da Mutt) and passenger, James (James), Josh (GOTMUDD02), Chuck (oromaine) and passenger, Rob (rafartist) and girlfriend, and me (BlueJ) with passenger/spotter/all-round troublemaker Gavan (gavan).

We started out from Rubicon lake with the intention of heading down Turtle, but, because Josh and Chuck were new to rocks, decided to start off on Turtle Rocks instead. With some good spotting, everyone made it through OK and we then continued down Turtle to the bottom. Near the bottom we stopped to investigate Da Mutt's huge clouds of fumes spewing from his exhaust. Not finding anything crippling, Tony elects to continue on.

We then headed to Outer Spare Tire for a little stream crossing fun. It has become so eroded, that there are really no challenging spots anymore, so we decide to head to Inner Spare Tire. First off the mark was Rob, heading for the mud puddle (not Greg's puddle, the one in front of it). Almost stuck and all muddy, Rob managed to get himself out. No one elects to try Greg's puddle.

We spent a while at the Inner Spare Tire crossing. I went first through the middle descent, and with my flat skid slid right down. Josh tried to follow, and got himself stuck on the stump. Keith's jeep with a strap was not enough to get him off, so we hooked up Chuck's 12,000 lb. winch and towed Josh off the stump. Next up was Rob, who got stuck in exactly the same place, and Chuck's winch was used again. Everyone else (except Tony) took the easy crossing on the right side, with Tony electing to take Da Mutt over the rocks to the left. With some maneuvering, he also made it through. No one had any problems getting out on the other side, though, unlike in years past.

We did get to watch a 4-wheeler (towing a broken one) do a back flip into the drink and onto the broken one trying to get across the stream at the alternate crossing.

We didn't quite make it back to the Spring in time for lunch with the other group because of a few deceptive mud puddles with frozen mud-bergs that sucked in a few jeeps. A few straps were needed to get off of the Inner Spare Tire trail.

We shared the Spring with three Hummers (H1s), a jeep, and an AWD Astro minivan while we ate our lunch. Tony did a quick oil change while we ate. As we finished up, James did some hill climbs and managed to break his jeep. The clip that holds the shifter broke, and he couldn't (easily) change gears. We left James' jeep at the Spring while we did another trail.

We started out wandering aimlessly along the trails, and since we found ourselves at Sleepy Hollow and everyone seemed to be doing well on the rocks, we headed on in. I pulled right through, and then walked back to remind everyone that we needed to be off the trails by 4 pm, only to find Gavan spotting Rob into a wedge between two big rocks. With some scraping, we backed him out and around the right way. Then Chris started guiding others into poser positions, as the clocks continued ticking. After that tomfoolery, as we walked to the top of the trail, there was Josh's jeep vertical up on the rock with his tailpipe dug into the ground. After some work, he was finally pulled down with little damage.

We then completed the trail, exiting though the lower part of Rabbit Run, and headed back to Haul Road. Along the way, Da Mutt stopped to check into a steering problem while I took a few back to the Spring to get James's jeep. We then to a mad sprint up Haul Road, down Valley, across Coal Road, to reach the Staging Area at 3:58. Whew!

James's jeep got my trailer behind Gavan's truck, so I had to drive BlueJ home. The trip was fine... the hardest part was figuring out how much the toll was going to cost me, the type on that ticket was too small for my old eyes to focus on. Also, everyone eventually decided that my maximum 60 MPH was just too slow and took off ahead.

I went down to Newark later in the evening to get my trailer back, and that's when the snow started to get heavy and stick to the roads.

If we missed anyone for a Trail Ride badge, let me know at the next meeting.

Andrew

Former Trail Boss (2003 - 2005)

Edited once, last by ().

• Just so you know why I kept looking at the time...

• Quote from "BlueJ"

We shared the Spring with three Hummers (H1s), a jeep, and an AWD Astro minivan while we ate our lunch.

Ahh...just missed you guys. That group was just heading in as we were leaving.

--Ian

• big thanks goes ot to james and rob for the oil to get it changed I owe you guys and I promise I will quit short changing my supply list for the trips....

• Big thx to Andrew (BlueJ) for leading us and for letting me borrow the trailer. Thank you to Gavan for pulling me home in comfort (sorry you had to drive Andrew) It was a $10 part that put me out of action. :doh: Also thx to GOTMUDD02 for letting me ride with him for the end of the day.

Had a good time and hopefully next time I can do the entire trip under my own power.

• James no problem on the ride ur welcome :peace: . I would just like to let everyone know I had a great time out on my first run with you guys, and also enjoyed my first time on the rocks. You can count on seeing plenty of me. Now I just gotta figure out what I did to my Jeep :question:

02 Tj hp Dana 30 4.88 ox locker, Dana 44 4.88 ox locker 3inch Teraflex coils and adjustable lower control arms 33 TSL Thornbirds and 4 chipmunks workin hard under the hood.
    Less brains MORE THROTTLE

• I like reading the trail reports. Let's me reminisce.

:hmm: I remember a Jeep flopping on its side on Turtle. It was one of those open rides, and the guy had rebuilt his brakes the night before. They gave out on that tight straight section down near the bottom and he drove up on the hillside and flopped it. There was also a Big Dogs event where they cut a side trail running across Turtle and a guy rolled coming up onto Turtle. I think that trail was closed the following weekend. :shrug:

• Quote from "quadna71"

3+ years on DeJA and still people can't spell my screen name. :shrug:
    chris

Hmmmff! Turns out I had lots of mistakes in that post...I was rushing through, since I was here at work. I am going to go edit it to say "...passenger/troublemaker Chris (quadna71)..."

• Quote from "Keith_C"

I just hope it's not one of those military things where he'll have to kill us after he tells us... :sad:

naw, nothing that glamorous. i'm originally from a small town in northern minnesota called hill city. when i say small, i mean really small...

anyways, the ojibway called the area "pikwadina" or "piquadinaw", which translated to "it is hilly". the name, piquadinaw, was eventually used in it's shortened version, quadna, as the namesake of a local 4-season resort just outside of my town. this was the place that i was working fulltime at prior to entering to the service - and it seemed like a nice way to keep myself sort of "related" in name to the place i'm from. oh, and '71 is my model year ;)
    chris

p.s. our town's population sign currently has an even smaller number on it! :flag:

• Quote from "quadna71"

the name, piquadinaw, was eventually used in it's shortened version, quadna, as the namesake of a local 4-season resort just outside of my town.

I've actually seen Quadna Mountain in person when we traveled to Minnesota this past summer and I must say...it was kinda freaky seeing his username on a huge sign....

• Pretty cool finding out about peoples usernames and where they come from.
    Lets you know a little more about the individual.
    :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!