Third Brake Light Out

• Somewhat related to Opie's post, my third brake light has stopped working. Questions:

- Does the third brake light have its own ground? (Am thinking perhaps it came loose.)
    - What's the proper setting on the mult-meter to check for shorts in the wiring? (I realize it's DC current, but that's about where my expertise ends.)

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Did you check the bulb?

Also check the button contacts between the tailgate and the tub.

Actually, I did not check the bulb!

FYI, I should have mentioned mine is not the stock TBL setup. It's somewhat customized -- an LED that's centered in my spare tire, so the cable runs through the spare tire carrier. The tailgate/tub contact buttons have been removed.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Actually, I did not check the bulb!

FYI, I should have mentioned mine is not the stock TBL setup. It's somewhat customized -- an LED that's centered in my spare tire, so the cable runs through the spare tire carrier. The tailgate/tub contact buttons have been removed.

Yeah, all of that would make a difference in trouble shooting. LOL.

Start tracing the wires from the light back toward the front.

Depending on who did it and how good they were it's hard to say how it's wired.

But yes, it has to be grounded somewhere.

Look for a bad connection or a broken butt connector or something like that. (Or a loose wire nut if they were a hack. ;D)

If you can find something to take a voltage reading on, put the meter on DC Volts and see what you have and where.

Doubtful the LED array all went bad.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!