First shark of the season :)

• Report was written by a buddy of mine I fished with that day-

Went out Saturday evening for the first time this year. Got my buddy Matt his first shark a nice 7ft sand tiger. We were a little nervous about the new regulations in Delaware but we were checked by a park ranger and he mentioned nothing to us about the new regulations. He didn't see us catch the shark but it was pretty obvious that we were shark fishing we had 4 penn 50s out. We had probably the fastest release on this one i have ever done, and we were able to keep the shark right at the edge of the wash so every time a wave broke he was getting plenty of water across the gills. This bad boy was only out of the water for about a minute and a half. 2 quick pics and a removed hook later and he was swimming strong. Congrats to Matt on this shark, he's leaving this week for 3 months overseas with the Navy. Also had my buddy Jamie with me on his first trip he's a new member to the site and i'm sure he will add something to the report.

I know the picture makes the shark look high and dry, but if you look and see how wet the sand is by his mouth, you can see that each wave has been going past his head with water. I ran in as the water receded to take a picture real quick then ran back before the upcoming wave swept back up the beach.

That gives you an idea of how close we were in the water the entire time with the shark, we were about a foot closer to the water then the above picture, again, each wave that came up passed over the sharks head through his gills and almost past his entire 7ft body.

Total time once we had control of the shark was less then a minute and a half, hook removed, and the shark powered back through the waves with out any help whatsoever.

All in all, im new to the sport of landbasedsharkfishing, this was my first trip out and it was a success, its unfortunate that delaware is trying to come up with new laws to keep people from sharkfishing from the beach, but according to their laws, and how we landed/released the shark, it never came out of the water and was never high and dry, thus being successful and not breaking any laws.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• One man kayak gets the baits out, holy cow am I out of shape. Anyone know the laws of having a small 8ft zodiac/old sea doo on the beach, serious question. The zodiacs can inflate in less then 10 min, little 5hp motor and your good to go.

As far as what beach..south of milford north of ocmd :fishing:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• One man kayak gets the baits out, holy cow am I out of shape. Anyone know the laws of having a small 8ft zodiac/old sea doo on the beach, serious question. The zodiacs can inflate in less then 10 min, little 5hp motor and your good to go.

As far as what beach..south of milford north of ocmd :fishing:

If it's state beach pretty sure you can not launch from the beach and are prohibited from operating a motorized vessel within 100' of the shoreline.

• 5.0 Vessel Regulations
    5.1 No person shall launch or recover vessels from waters within or bordering on State Park lands except at designated boat launch areas or docks.
    5.6 No person shall operate any vessel within one hundred (100) feet of a swimmer or any designated swimming or surfboarding area, any swimmer or surfer or the coastline of any ocean beach or inland bay unless designated for such purpose.

Thought this was interesting too:

7.0 Water Sports
    7.1 Persons swimming or sunbathing on areas administered by the Division shall be attired in acceptable swimwear, worn so as to prevent any indecent or lewd exposure of the person.
    7.1.1 Males – must cover buttocks and genitals.
    7.1.2 Females – must cover buttocks, breasts and genitals.

• Would a small Kayak count as a vessel? I think they are referring to.

Incidentally, Which one did you find interesting?
    7.1.1 Males – must cover buttocks and genitals. or 7.1.2 Females – must cover buttocks, breasts and genitals.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Nice shark Slick... I've been really wanting to try it one of these days. Has anyone had luck with casting for sharks (not dogfish)? I know larger bait fish do come pretty close to shore.

I've seen plenty of kayaks from the surf with no reprimand from DNREC officers.

Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it&#039;s a 35<br />01 TJ Sahara<br />TJ- 4.0 5spd, 8.8, RE 4.5&quot; lift, RC X-Flex Arms, 1&quot; BL w/ MM Lift, Clayton/JKS Trackbars, 33&#039;s, Rusty&#039;s Rock Bumpers, XRC Sliders, PIAA&#039;s, Delta H4 Conv, CB, Skids<br />Future Mods: Going back to 3&quot; springs with Johnny Joints on all the arms.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!