Removing M/T Center Caps...Help!

• Follow-up: Just gave the TJ a partial front end alignment. I went with a 1/4" toe-in difference between the front of the tire and the back. I've seen seen 1/8" mentioned by some, and I'm just wondering if 1/4" is ok with my 33" tires. Anyone?

p.s. Setting the steering wheel straight would have been #$%&!@ easier if I had remembered to turn on the key in the ignition before I started. Ever notice how a locked steering wheel doesn't want to move?! :bang:

1/8" is better.

And you didn't say where the difference was.

Hopefully the front was less than the back. ;D

• p.s. Setting the steering wheel straight would have been #$%&!@ easier if I had remembered to turn on the key in the ignition before I started. Ever notice how a locked steering wheel doesn't want to move?! :bang:

It's 36" long and made of 1"x1" square aluminum tubing. James had it marked for 33" and 35" tires when he gave them to me - works perfectly. I bolt them to the lower two lug bolts - that way when I hang the tape measures across the back halves of the tubing they aren't affected (as much) by the lower control arms. Once they are snugged in place with lug nuts it is much easier to sight down the right one and align it with the back of the Jeep. As I make toe adjustments by lengthening/shortening the tie rod, I keep bumping the steering wheel to keep the right one fairly in line with the back of the Jeep. Don't forget to keep the steering wheel unlocked so you are making adjustments without any tension on the steering system. Once my toe-in is set to around 1/8"-1/16" then I take it for a drive and mark where the steering wheel is positioned when going straight down the highway. Back into the garage to adjust the drag link to bring the steering wheel back to center.

I know you have the alignment process down pat but figured it may help someone else out.

Sounds like a good day in the garage. If you want to fine tune it, Keith's right - 1/8" toe in is going to handle better than 1/4" :)

• Good stuff - thanks. I knew about the 1/8" difference, but I never knew if that was for a stock tire, 33, 35, 37, etc. Seems to me the tire size would impact what the difference should be in the two measurements. Maybe Sunday I'll try to fine tune it.

Also, my tires are brand new, so I was ok with using the lugs as my reference points with the tape measure. I measured across the very front and very back of the tires.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Neill-io and I just did my cherokee last weekend. We went with the bungee cording a 2x4 to the outsides of the tires method. It worked out well but I still have another issue with my front end.

I'm going to use the tube bolted to the hub next time I do mine.

For 2 reasons.

1. Tires sometimes have slight bulges here and there.

2. Yet to see a 2x4 that is perfectly straight.

We are only talking about 1/8".

Between the 2 above factors, the chances of being correct are pretty slim.

• Well, I took another stab at it today, and I think I got it down from 1/4" to 3/16". I really needed a second person to help me make perfect measurements. I'm going to just call it good for now.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!