Front Hitch: Question

• Just received my front hitch and planning on installing it Friday. As I was looking at the instructions, it told me to remove my front tow hooks...the YJ does not have any :doh: so I am guessing I need to drill through the bumber. :shrug: The hitch came with 1/2" x 1 1/2 and 2" (front/back) hex bolts, flat washers and lock washers.

That leads me to the question...Since there is no nut to use and the hex bolts are supposed to screw into the existing tow hook holes, what size do I drill out the holes (1/2"???) to be able to attach the hitch and will I have issues since my drilled hole will not be threaded? Thanks.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

Edited once, last by ().

• What kind of front hitch are you talking about and what is it for?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It is a Hidden Hitch from Q-Tech. Basically it will be used for attaching a hitch haul for camping gear or beach and also to act as a front tow spot for trail rides. It sits on top of the front bumber. This way I can still use my rear hitch for bikes and by using the front for gear it is a bit higher off the ground than if I used the rear.

• Kevin,

if this is on a yj your holes where the tow hooks should mount to are under the plastic cover that says JEEP on it. remove that and you should see where they go..

i believe all yj's came with the places to put tow hooks and such. i know my 94 had em and my buddies 89 had em also..

hope this helps..

Carl

• Thanks! That was actually the 1st instruction to take that plastic thingy off. The diagram shows 1 bolt going through the bumber and the back one through the frame (under the plastic, I think). Will let you know after Friday.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!