YJ Clutch questions

• I'm helping a friend with his YJ that has a clutch problem. Basically it grinds going into 2nd, and sometimes 3rd. It's also hard to get it into first when at a complete stop. It has been this way for awhile now (probably a year or so). It has gotten somewhat worse. Is there any good way to check if it is the clutch master cylinder before I replace the clutch?

I was reading some other posts on another board and someone said it could be the master cylinder. Every time I've lost a master cylinder, the pedal has just gone straight to the floor.

If I replace the clutch is there a specific one that is better than another one? I'm not planning on going centerforce or anything, it's only a 2.5L.

In case it matters it is a 93 YJ 4cylinder.

• What you describe is pretty common problem with the ax-5 and ax-15 tranny's. He has the ax-5 in his Jeep. Most likely the syncro's are going bad. Usually it is cause by putting the wrong fluid in the tranny after an oil change. They are pretty sensitive and they require an ultra-low sulfer oil to protect the brass syncro's. HTH.

• So should we replace the clutch first, or should we just find another transmission?

Anyone have a transmission?

Should be an AX-5.

• I have the AX-5, and it is 'stiff as a board' at first, in cold weather. After driving for 10 minutes it's ok. But I've learned to not force it, or it will grind going into second.
    I've read (somewhere) that this is just the way this japanese transmission is. But maybe I'm not using the right oil.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!