Mirror relocation PITA

• I'd like to install the mirror relocation brackets I've had for awhile. They install using the three window frame hinge bolts. Simple, right? Well the guy who painted my TJ last summer painted over them, and they don't want to come out. I'm starting to strip out one of the torx heads, which makes me think I may not be using the correct size. I have several torx drivers, but I'm sure I don't have a complete set.

Does anyone in the Dover area have the tool(s) to remove a torx bolt with a stripped head? I'll come to you. Also, what's the best way to handle the paint situation? With the proper torx driver, should I be able to break the seal on the paint, or must I do something else? Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• The paint could be the least of your problems. They tend to seize to the nut on the back side. Mine are A T40, with this kind of bolt I always try to seat the bit in the bolt by smacking the bit into the bolt head with a hammer. This should give you the best grip.

• Don't be too quick to blame just the painter...he only added another layer as the factory did the same. I've always had the best luck smacking it like Andy said but also cutting around the edge of the bolt with a razor blade. Also doesn't hurt to use an impact on them as it tends to break the fasteners loose rather than stripping it (it can still strip, make sure it is seated 110%!) like the 'gradual' force of hand tools can. Bad news is that if one is stripped your easiest way to fix is to weld a nut to the head, trying not to damage the surrounding paint on the hinge.

--Ian

• what i did was take a small propane torch of some sorts and heat it up until you see the orange in the bolt and the try it. i got off like 15 torx head like this it helps a lot
    !

• what i did was take a small propane torch of some sorts and heat it up until you see the orange in the bolt and the try it. i got off like 15 torx head like this it helps a lot
    !

You must have missed where he's got a new paintjob. Torch + painted hinge = sad Jim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!