BEACH TIRES

• Accidently posted this in wrong spot, so I'm putting it here. :-[

OK, I know this has probably been discussed a zillion times before, but I apparently didn't pay attention. My original JK BFG Mud tires are done. They served me fine on the beach, however I really don't off road anywhere else. I'm looking to replace with same size 255/75R 17. I have a set of BFG All Terrains on my Toyota Tacoma which I love! Both from a longevity standpoint (got 55K out of them) and also for their performance on sand and street (much quieter and smoother ride than the aggressive mud tires on the JK). I would put them on the Jeep in a heartbeat however they don't appear to come in 255/75 17's.

So..........with all of that history, can anyone recommend a good ALL TERRAIN tire? Both in quality and tread design for the sand. Not looking for aggressive cleats for mud, or 'carlike' normal groved tread. I like the true all terrain criss cross tread if that makes any sense. I love my stock Moab rims that came on the Rubicon and plan to keep them.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

• BFG ATs work great and are an awesome all purpose tire..

Michelin LTX line is fantastic on the sand. Not sure what all the current model names are but there were MS and AT.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• i would say that if you are happy with the BFG AT, get them in the closest size to what you want. you will have plenty of clearance to go with a slightly bigger tire without having to do anything else. the LT265/70R17 would have a barely noticable size difference. it would be less than 1/2 inch wider and about the same height.

• The Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos are great for sand and snow but dunno if they're made in that size. Of course the BFG ATs are always my first recommendation... See if you can find a size close enough.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• the BFG AT is available in the 265/70R17 size, which is a hair wider (10.7 vs 10) and shorter (31.8 vs 32.1) than the specs of a 255/75R17 tire, and it's available in the C load class so the ride will be similar to the factory tires (avoid the D and E rated tires!) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/…=67R7ATAKORWLV2&tab=Specs

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• The Michelin LTX A/T2 are nice. They just redesigned the compound. I work at Ntb and my boss swears by them.
    They r great on the road and for light duty offloading but nothing crazy. But by ur description it sounds like they would b just want ur looking for. They come with a 60k tread life warranty. And Michelin always backs there warranties. The LTX M/S2 is better in the road and inclement weather but nothing really offload from what I'm told from customers. Hope this helps.

• hey, check out Pep Boys, they carry a line made by Dakota. I am running the Dakota AT's, 33x12.50x15's on my YJ and love them. They were a bit cheaper than the big name brands. I ran them offroad for the first time at the pine barren jamboree last fall, i did the hardest trails and did just as well if not better than the guys running swampers and other big name mudders. At the time of my purchase they had a buy 3 get the 4th for free. just my two cents....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!