TJ Front Control Arms "egging"

• I have a 98 TJ with 33" tires and a 4" suspension lift. I noticed this weekend that the driver-side control arm is egging its hole where it connects to the frame bracket. I experienced this same thing with my steering track bar awhile back, and the solution was to weld a couple of steel plates on each side of the bracket, with new holes drilled out that are perfect for the bolt. Would that be the same solution for the control arm situation? Also, does this egging indicate a possible larger issue? Rather than take the time and effort to create a couple of metal plates, would it be just as effective to weld in some grade 8 washers? :shrug:

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Egging of the holes would imply that the bolts were loose enough to permit movement....I'd start by tightening everything. Then the ones that have an obvious issue I think you've already proposed the best solution, either a larger washer or drilled piece of metal both being essentially the same thing. ;)

--Ian

• Yeah, but I'm not sure if Jim upgraded his impact or not. :)

That's impact GUN, Keith! Don't you know nothing?! And yes I did upgrade at HF. I think I may have to go the washer route, but tell me wise one...can I weld a grade 8 washer pretty much the same as a regular washer?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Yeah, but I'm not sure if Jim upgraded his impact or not. :)

That's impact GUN, Keith! Don't you know nothing?! And yes I did upgrade at HF. I think I may have to go the washer route, but tell me wise one...can I weld a grade 8 washer pretty much the same as a regular washer?

Should weld just fine.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!