few p/s questions

• ok, first the history...
    bought a power steering setup (used) AWHILE ago. finally got around to getting it installed today. p/s pump and gearbox r off a cj, but so is my 4.2l. anyhow, got everything bolted in and filled w/ fluid. ran it a few secs, filled again, ran...filled... bout 3 or 4 times til it finally seemed to be topped off. pump is KINDA noisy, but not bad.
    cycled it 100% both ways a few times without drag link connected while filling w/ fluid.
    THEN hooked up the drag link (or whatever its called... connects pitman arm to steering knuckle.) as im turning the wheel left and right the pump gets WAYYYYY noisy and spotty as far as functionality... turns nice for a sec, then turns hard for a sec.... decided to take it for a spin, see if it straightens out, no avail. but i did notice, it seems to work well @ higher rpms... but very sporatic sitting still. fluid looks foamy in res. is this normal? anything i might of missed while filling with fluid that may be the cause? or is this old @ss pump just bad? or can i possibly be the gearbox?? the box is quiet as can be btw...

• You have to keep working it, and adding fluid. Might take 20 iterations. Be patient. Also have to keep waiting for the fluid to de-foam.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I would not start the engine for the initial bleeding. Doing so could cause cavitation inside the power steering pump and damage the pump. Jack up the frontend so the weight is off the front tires and without the engine running, fill and turn the steering wheel back and forth (lock to lock) at least 25-30 times until all the air bubbles are gone. Once that is completed and you have topped off the power steering fluid reservoir, then you can start the engine and turn some more. Take for a short ride and check the fluid level and add more fluid if needed and you're done.

• Ok... so prolly not a fluid issue then. This this is LOUD! Looks like I'm gonna buy a he's pump. Thanks 4 the info guys

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Ok... so prolly not a fluid issue then. This this is LOUD! Looks like I'm gonna buy a he's pump. Thanks 4 the info guys

It will be loud if there's no fluid to lubricate the pump. Foam won't do it.

That's why the advice to do the bleed/purge procedure w/o it running.

• Matter of fact, I just went out and topped it off for the 3rd time since the initial post and its much better. Still a slight whine, but the thing sounds and acts pretty good now!! Thanks fellas

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!