73 cj5 frame up restoration

• well after about 5 years of slacking on my cj5 restore ive finally started the work this weekend. within the 5 years ive taken the jeep to a bare frame and the frame has been sitting. This weekend me and my stepdad got the rust taken off the frame and have figured out a gameplan to get the frame back to the way it needs to be. We pulled off the original front and rear bumper and pulled out rusted out crossmembers, and grinded off and pulled of the factory cj5 spring mounts to make room for the new yj spring conversion. got the frame coated and ready to primer and paint after we get the new spring mounts put on. Our plan is to put yj springs on with a springover setup, its the start of a long awaited project and i cant wait to start getting this thing together. I will post up some pictures as i start getting more done incase anyone is interested in seeing the progress.

• well after about 5 years of slacking on my cj5 restore ive finally started the work this weekend. within the 5 years ive taken the jeep to a bare frame and the frame has been sitting. This weekend me and my stepdad got the rust taken off the frame and have figured out a gameplan to get the frame back to the way it needs to be. We pulled off the original front and rear bumper and pulled out rusted out crossmembers, and grinded off and pulled of the factory cj5 spring mounts to make room for the new yj spring conversion. got the frame coated and ready to primer and paint after we get the new spring mounts put on. Our plan is to put yj springs on with a springover setup, its the start of a long awaited project and i cant wait to start getting this thing together. I will post up some pictures as i start getting more done incase anyone is interested in seeing the progress.

Great project.. have you considered going coil conversion? or a Hybrid, coil front leaf rear.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• ive run through many different ideas for this project, i settled on yj spring conversion because i have most of the parts to do the spring over because i used to have a yj. my stepdad actually had a 304 in his garage that were going to put into it, we were contemplating doing a propane injection but still havent decided what were going to go with on that. Its been so long sitting there im just glad to finally have some work started on it.

• I have a few extra YJ leafs sitting in the garage that you're welcome to. They are left over from when I put my YJ spring packs together.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!