Wireless Router

• I have the mediagate thing on Amazon, and it works well, but would like a model with an external antenna.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'd definitely go Linksys over dlink. The wrt54g was a good router in the day but all the current gen n routers have much much better range and speed. I used to need an extender to get signal in my basement with my wrt54g (hacked to boost signal strength...shhh, don't tell the FCC) but with my current n router its fine.

• I'd definitely go Linksys over dlink. The wrt54g was a good router in the day but all the current gen n routers have much much better range and speed. I used to need an extender to get signal in my basement with my wrt54g (hacked to boost signal strength...shhh, don't tell the FCC) but with my current n router its fine.

Most should keep in mind that for those with a smaller house/apt, only a couple wifi devices, and a normal cable or fios internet connection that a 802.11g router is likely going to provide the same 'speed' as a new, more expensive N router so it's not critical to run right out and replace a perfectly functioning unit. With an open source firmware the wrt54g is also perfect for those that cannot service their house with a single access point and has features not normally present in 'normal' consumer grade units (site-to-site vpn, QOS, etc). By hardwiring multiple neutered N 'routers', which are now technically just access points, you don't kill performance as with a range extender as it must essentially cut the bandwidth in half to receive and retransmit wirelessly. I think I have $70 in my setup (used wrt54g and 3 refurb n300's from compusa), get excellent coverage and speed in and around the house with no dead spots, and combined with a gigE switch don't have any complaints with connectivity internal or external to my home network.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!