xfer case drop , sye

• Is it possible that you wouldnt need either of these if the shims are at steep angle.... Only reason I'm asking is I just got my suspension lift on and it seems like my rear is @ a higher angle then my xfer case.... Have a annoying vibration between 40-50 mph and am worried that the more my suspension settles the worse it will get.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• The answer is not a simple one.....depends on how much lift, the operating angle of the joints involved, and the type of shaft yoke set-up. I'm trying to remember the proper number, I believe it is that if the final operating angle is greater than 11% than you have to use a double cardon driveshaft to eliminate the driveleine vibration, which would require a SYE as well.

If you have 2 different angles in the driveshaft at the u-joints, this is a bad thing and will cause component failure.

Yhe other thing is, what kind of lift was installed? If you have increased the axle movement too much, as in a long arm lift, then the stock driveshaft will pull right out of the transfer case.

So the simple answer is, install the SYE and the double cardon driveshaft. It saves in headaches and wear and tear on multiple driveline components.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• Its a standard 4 inch lift I have a xfer case drop kit and shims.... My axle is actually a little higher then what I like. But out of the xfer case its relatively a good angle... Bad part is.... My bolts where rusted out and actually have to tack weld my cross member one and the passenger side xfer case bracket. Is there a way to do the she without having to remove the xfer case? Or is an hack n tap the only option.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Its a standard 4 inch lift I have a xfer case drop kit and shims.... My axle is actually a little higher then what I like. But out of the xfer case its relatively a good angle... Bad part is.... My bolts where rusted out and actually have to tack weld my cross member one and the passenger side xfer case bracket. Is there a way to do the she without having to remove the xfer case? Or is an hack n tap the only option.

I installed my full SYE without pulling the TC.

A little less comfortable than having it on the bench, yes.

But not really that bigger of a deal.

• Did you do it in a tj or yj.... From my understanding the yj doesn't have a seal and tranny fluid leaks all over the place and you have to replace the seal. It definitely needs to be done its not a bad vibration its just annoying and I really don't wanna see what could possibly happen if I don't fix it @ some point. Seems like every time I turn around its a different problem even though this was a self inflicted one :bang: oh well.... Is there a huge issue with a hack and tap in comparison to a sye? Driveline issues are completely new to me.

• with a t-case drop you should be able to get the angles close.. i did a 2.5 YJ lift with no t-case drop without issue, and a 4 inch yj iift with t-case drop and no issues. i had to get a slightly larger shim for the 4 inch..dont remember the degree.

i cant remember, but does the motor mount rule apply with a YJ? might help turn the t-case down a little. how is the front angle?

• The front isn't bad but I do get a vibration when I let off the gas but its at the same speed as when I am accelerating... I'm really trying to avoid the sye right now... Money has gotten a little tight at the moment ( thanx to my jeep). I'm gonna grab a degree finder from autozone tomorrow and post my angles on my drive shaft and see if anyone can give me a idea on what to get.... Its frustrating as hell lol :bang:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!