Help - idling high

• Just replaced an exhaust manifold . When restarted the jeep ~ it's idling extremely high. All sensors are hooked and everything seems ok. Out of ideas? Anyone have this happen before?

• Could be something with the intake.... check your IAC (idle air controller).... that actually controls your idle.... if all else fails... google it lol.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Check to make sure you hooked up all the vacuum hoses on the intake. I had a backfire once when restarting that caused the plastic valve in the power brake booster pop off, causing an extremely high idle.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Most likely you have a vacuum leak, this is most easily found by spraying ether or another combustible aerosol around the intake mating area to the head, and vacuum lines. Once you find it you'll know how to fix it. Did you use a new manifold gasket?

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• Also check the hose connection to the purge control solenoid, they deteriorate over time and once handled can produce holes that suck unmetered air. This will be at the center of the intake on the side right by the throttle chamber.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• Oddly a loose ground cable can effect idle. But more than likely its vacuum. A bad brake booster can leak and cause high idle.. But braking issues would likely be noticed.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!