• Do we have any gardeners in the group?

I'm built an above ground garden and am filling it with mushroom soil tomorrow and need to get my plants in. I'm a little uncertain to what, how much, and the spacing of the plants. I did what I do best already and exhausted google and its filled with a lot of good info and I think I have a pretty good idea.
    I'm just trying to avoid over planting because its only my wife and me (but I'm more then happy to share an extra produce :hug: ) and I want to have a successful harvest for my first go around so I do it again next year.

I built a 4'x12'x12" deep garden that will get about 8+ hours of direct sunlight per day. This is what I have in mind so far and I still want to add fruit into it. I have it broken down into 1 foot squares for planning (You think I have too much free time at work?)
    [img width=1200 height=561]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=41758[/img]

• Few other suggestions would be....

1. Corn - 2 rows - center of garden (I love sweet corn and recommend it highly)
    2. Beans - 2 rows - next to tomatoes since both are climbing vines
    3. Peas - 1 row - same as above (climber)
    4. Watermelon / Cantelope / Pumpkin / Cukes / Squashes- Plant them on the outside edges/corners as they grow on ground vines and it's easier to let them overgrow the edge of the garden so they won't choke out the other plants.
    5. Broccoli / Cauliflower - 2 or 3 plants each will give you a fair amount of produce
    6. Carrots
    7. Onions

I help my pop out with his garden at the house and other than the regular weeding and watering it's not very difficult to get a lot of produce out of a small garden. Be careful with how many tomato plants you plant. They tend to produce a LOT of fruit to the point of you can't give them away fast enough. When my parents lived up this way we planted a blueberry bush and a good size strawberry patch. Awesome fruit but it's extremely difficult to keep the wildlife out of!!! Birds, rabbits, birds, Birds and BIRDS!!! :upset:

Like Keith said.... http://www.squarefootgardening…-book-brand-new-for-2013/

**Edit: Check out some common herbs to fill in an empty spots in the garden. Parsley, mint, etc....

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• I usually do a 10x40 garden and speaking from experience you're gonna want to give your squash and cuc's more than what you've alotted....squash leaves get huge and will block adjacent plants and cucumber vines like to spread. I guess the following suggestions are good things I've picked up/learned from mistakes:

1. Better to harvest your broccoli too early instead of too late. Once it flowers you're f'd.
    2. Corn is the bane of my existence. No matter what I did I couldn't keep animals from pulling the 6-8" plants out to get at the bit of remaining kernel in the ground...my concoction in #3 was awesome for keeping the wildlife off everything but the corn. I even went so far as bird netting 'enclosing' them until they were a foot or so. Once I pulled the net the bastards still dug 'em up. :cuss: Rest assured, I do have a plan this year. :innocent:
    3. Best thing I found to keep animals from feasting on your beloved veggies is capsaicin extract (can buy it from Peppers at the beach or random places online) mixed with water in a sprayer. Apply liberally after rain...a couple applications initially and I didn't have to use it the rest of the season. It worked for everything but the corn, likely because the kernel was underground and not sprayed. Just make sure you're upwind when spraying it. Trust me. Think pepper spray... :doh:
    4. Sometimes it's cool to grow stuff just to grow it, even if you're just giving it away.
    5. Peppers cross pollinate and have a direct affect on each other's heat. If you grow jalapenos and ghosts next to each other you'll get smoking hot jalapenos and somewhat-less-than-full-heat ghost peppers (I still wouldn't advise chomping on them but...)
    6. Drip irrigation or buried soaker hose is where it's at for watering.
    7. Make sure you're mindful of how much each will produce....at some point it's easier to just buy some things from the farmers market instead of having a ton of that variety, you can make the call when that point is:

[li]You're only gonna get 1-2ears of corn per stalk.[/li]
      [li]Asparagus is a single spear per plant.[/li]
      [li]Squash will fill a truck bed. Never do more than 4 squash and/or zucchini or you'll run out of people to give them to even if you're eating them damn near every meal.[/li]
      [li]So will tomatoes. For us 2 'fullsize' tomato plants last year and 3 (i think?) cherry tomato seemed to be a good number. They produced enough cherry tomatoes to keep me in them for daily salads the entire summer.[/li]
      [li]Brussel sprouts tend to have a couple dozen per stalk.[/li]
      [li]Yukon gold potatoes yield ~5-6 per plant[/li]

Of everything my favorite plant isn't technically in my garden. I have a few hops plants outside my porch which produced decent last season and based on their growth this year so far should be outstanding this year. Screw veggies, I can make beer with the hops! :razz:

--Ian

• You'll want some real dirt in there too. Not just straight mushroom soil. They will dry out very quickly and scorch in the summer.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I have 6 or 7 - 4'x4' boxes.

1 sq.ft. for a healthy tomato plant isn't enough. I always forget how big they get. This year I've got 4 plants in a 4'x4'.

Consider getting cages for them also.

• I got the veggies planted on Monday and almost got the mulching done but I ran out of mulch. So far I'm happy and excited to have some backyard produce. I ended up doing 1 large tomato, 1 Roma Tomato, 2 Cherry Tomato, 2 bell peppers, 3 banna peppers, 2 sweet cherry peppers, 2 cucumber, and 6 lettuce plants. I have everything properly spaced and filled in some gabs with the lettuce plants. I figured since they are low growing that might work but I run the risk of the taller plants blocking the light. I'm hoping I postioned them int he correct lines with the sun so they get what they need. I also added a soaker hose on a timer by snaking it through the rows.

With this setup how often and at what duration should I be watering? They garden will get a minamal of 8 hours of direct sun light per day. I can set the timer for every 6, 8, or 12 hours to come on. I have it set to every 6 hours now starting at 6am.

[img width=1200 height=900]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=41822[/img]
    [img width=1200 height=900]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=41825[/img]
    [img width=1200 height=900]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=41828[/img]

• I'm just throwing this out there, but aren't there better online sources of gardening information than a local Jeep forum? :innocent:

FWIW, we have the same-size raised garden and give our soak hose timer a 30-45 minute twist every evening. Everything is growing fine and we've been harvesting strawberries and spinach now for 2-3 weeks.

• I'm just throwing this out there, but aren't there better online sources of gardening information than a local Jeep forum? :innocent:

FWIW, we have the same-size raised garden and give our soak hose timer a 30-45 minute twist every evening. Everything is growing fine and we've been harvesting strawberries and spinach now for 2-3 weeks.

There are way better online sources than a local Jeep forum but I don't get the awesome D-bag comments at those like I do here.... :laughing: It's kind of like asking family first knowing you are going to get shit and improper info before going to find it.

• Notes:
    1. Corn, I would not grow it.. Takes lots of space and you only get 2 ears per stalk. When its ready , you can buy it for a buck or two per doz.
    4. Watermelon and Pumkins take over the garden, they need tones of space.. Cukes and cantelope are easier .
    6. Carrots, never had much luck, plus they are so friggin cheap to buy. and same with oinions,

What i usually grow is Toms, japanese cukes, zuchini, broccoli, hot peppers, japanese eggplant, mint (for Mojitos) , cilantro and basil. Also like to grow oakra, and romaine. We also have a Strawberry patch and grow Japanese shiso.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Hows the garden going so far?

Good, mostly everything is coming in nice. I already have some tomatos and peppers growing on the plants. A few of the lettuces arent doing great and the cucumbers are still subject.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!