NEUROC Results, May 22/23

• Well, as of Saturday afternoon, Team Mall Crawler appears to be in the lead! :up:

It was an awesome day at Paragon, and not just because I got to take the Durango down Coal Road. I've never seen so many rollovers -- and virtually all of those failed to put the vehicles out of commision.

As this was the first time I attended Neuroc, I had no idea what to expect, but it turned out great. Even the weather cooperated: although raining lightly on the ride up, it cleared up by the time competition began. It was mostly sunny, with a few gray clouds coming over occasionally. There were lots of Jeeps and buggies all other the place, with a few other brands thrown in, but lots and lots of trail power.

The competition was broken into three groups: Stock/Modified, limited to 35" tires; Modified, limited to 37's I think, and Unlimiteds. There were a number of short "obstacles" set up off of Coal Road, mostly under 100 years each. Their difficulty ranged from extremely difficult on up. Each competitor had to run five obstacles. Some of these courses were used by several of the vehicle classes, but with different gates required.

The first driver in the Stock/Modfied competion was Candi from Rock Dawgs, who Aaron practiced with last weekend. On her first run, she had a difficult time with the first 10 feet of the trail, and it just got worse. About 30 yards down the course, her spotter put her into a bad position and she rolled her jeep a full 360. That put her out of contention for that obstacle, but she kept on competing. To show how tough the day was, even with the rollover, Candi ended the day in second place among 13 in the class.

We saw rollover after rollover, in each class, on many of the courses, and in all cases the vehicles were back in action for their next run. Even the shiny red Cherokee that did a 270 roll down hill into a tree on top of a boulder, smashing his side window and severly damaging his roof and side panels.

Aaron and Don did really well on the courses, even though they had a rocky (!) start. No rollovers, and they pointed out (excessive time or too many gates) on a most of the trails. But they aced one of them, keeping their overall score the lowest among the class.

We had a great time watching Aaron and all the other competitors. Chris Klee, Nikki Sample, Sean from BMJA, Jen (Aaron's girlfriend), and I were there to cheer on Aaron and Don. We also cheered on Wayne from UpNOver and his driver, Bob.

I wish I could go back up for day two on Sunday, it promises to be an other awesome day. Congratulations, and good luck, to Team Mall Crawler!

Former Trail Boss (2003 - 2005)

Edited once, last by ().

• Sounds great. I went up for the later competition last year and didn't see any roll overs. It was pretty awesome though. Will they have to go up the rock wall? Last year there was a rock wall about 100 ft high that the rail jobs were going on. It was real steap.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• a couple things:
    Waynes driver is Bob. Aaron and Don are in the Stock class. Sean and I were the "pit crew".

The event was crazy! i saw more roll overs and breakage this weekend i ever saw. i think there were less rigs that didn't roll than did.
    Some of the unlimited drivers were ken Shupe, some of the badlands crew, team from kentucky, the Scorpion, and some other amazing drivers.

Aaron continued on a good run all day today. we started on 8, Aaron got him self dangling on a 3' ledge and took a time out. we had a few people on ropes and he winched him self back on the ledge.
    The next run was 12, which was not completed by anyone in the stock class.
    after that was a very difficult one. it was up a large hill, then traverse across a huge rock. Aaron started up the hill, then started the treverse. Problem is, he forgot to turn on his front locker. Sean decided it would be a good idea to yell for him to turn the locker. After they were done with the trail Aaron signaled to Sean to leave. after that the judge called us over and told us sean yelling was a 50 point penalty (same as a dq).
    after some discussion between Wayne, Bob, i and the judge, he let it go this once.
    Then the next obstacle, Aaron and Don decided to use the skinny pedal to get up a ledge. Aaron tried a couple time and over he went. Not much damage to the jeep, some scratches and a very small dent. Candy's spotter brought the jeep to the top and winched him back over.
    The last one i guess was alright, but he hit some cones. I missed that one while i was being the waterboy i am and fetching Gatorade.

After all the scores were added up at the end of the day Team Mall Crawler did very well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!