CJ8 Resurrection

• OK the time has come for me to make this happen! Long story short the Scrambler has been in storage since "95"

I've been collecting an assortment of parts and new mods over the last 3 years so it's time to bang this out. I spent some time today preparing to pull the SBC/350 out and started taking care of the wiring. Even went on the net today and ordered a number of small parts, It's these small parts that always nickel and dime the project but are always the most important.

• I didn't get as much done on the 8 this weekend as I would of liked, I had to work on my daily ride and the heat was a bit much at times. I did manage to: Pulled the old engine, Worked out most of the wiring, Removed the battery tray and the heater box for blower motor upgrade and heater core replacement.

Next I'll need to work on the firewall, clean up the surface rust and get it painted. I still don't know how I'm gonna do the brakes :shrug: I definitely need to get under the hood organized asap for the new engine install and the dual battery setup

• What were you thinking about brakes? Are you thinking of a 4 wheel disc set up, going to power brakes, hydraulic brakes, new brake lines, or some other upgrade?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

What were you thinking about brakes?

Well, stay with manual brakes and rebuild the master cylinder and replace all line's. Or install a power booster assembly which I have on hand, Or go with a Hydro-Boost system which I also have on hand. It all comes down to how much time i have. But replacing all the lines is a must! You see I live in Lewes but I work and stay in PA during the week so the only time I have for the 8 is the weekend.

All the hardware for 4 wheel disc I also have but I'm thinking of maybe changing the rears out in the future :shrug:

• Set up as much as you can for a 4wheel disc set up so that any adjustments will be minimal when you change out rears. So go with the master cylinder that will have the extra volume for 4 wheel discs. If you have a hydroboost set up why not use it? There's nothing wrong with having too much stopping or holding power.

I'm running Wagoneer Dana 44s and think the width is perfect; only around 3 to 4 inches sticking out from the fenders. But I'm running 10" wide rims. If I go back to 8" rims they'd probably suck in enough to use stock flares.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Not a whole lot got done this past weekend. I had to work on Saturday and dealing with an ailing family pet didn’t leave much free time. I did get the firewall drilled for the heater blower motor & the hydraulic clutch master cylinder located and drilled. Now just need to get it cleaned up for paint.

If you have a hydroboost set up why not use it?

I'm just gonna wait until I get everything set up for the 44 frontend. Then I’ll do it all: disc, hydro & 44 in the front.

I'm running Wagoneer Dana 44s and think the width is perfect;

I’m looking at many different options on that. I already have a 31 spline 9” in the rear so it’s just a matter if I will shorten a 44 or just buy one already set up. :shrug: One with all new hardware compared to my time hunting one down and dealing with used parts. At one time I did have a set of dana 60's that I let go :bang: But I'm not ruling out maybe looking for another set.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!