Swapping Gears

• I bought the tools and a book then did my own. Then did them again in 6 months and then again in another 6 months. I would not recommend if it is going to be a daily driver. Mine being for trails and weekends it only sees about 5000 miles a year. Very hard to get just right and if you don't you will be throwing your money away. Go to shop but first remove both axles and all the shafts it will save you some money.

• What all tools did you get? I did my own gears a few years back, and I know they aren't right, but they have worked for probably 4 years as a daily driver. I'd like to do them again sometime correctly, but don't have the money to get all the equipment. Or the time right now.

• I have done several sets for fellow Jeeps in the area. I wish I had enough time to do more. This is not something you can do without watching and learning from another.

As far as tools goes... you need a bearing seperator, 2 jaw puller, maybe a case spreader, a hydro press, torch wrench for ft-lbs and 0-25 in-lbs, callipers and a lot of hand tools.

• Also a dial indicator for setting the backlash and an extra set of bearings that you can turn into setup bearings which will make everything go much easier.

• Quote from "astape"

As far as tools goes... you need a torch wrench .

I think you mean a torque wrench. Ol sparky shouldnt get used that much in a gear swap :laughing: :laughing:

• Great, well just trying to get an idea of what would be getting into if I try and change gears my self when the time comes, these 33's on 4.11 with a 4 banger are killing me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!