Pre-Camp Jeep report

• The first Camp Jeep trail work day was yesterday at big Boulder/Jack Frost. Having gone to Camp Jeep last year, I thought I'd offer a few comparisons and opinions.

We divided up in to four groups yesterday, each with two chainsaws, to clear the trails after a bad winter up there. Charlie from BMJA led a group of all DeJA Jeeps (besides his) of myself, Paul, Jason and Ian. We had a few riders from other clubs as well. We rode what is called Lehigh Gorge Trail to those familiar with the Jeep Jamboree trails. It will be one of the easier trails at Camp Jeep this year. That's the bad news. The good news? It would be a Blue trail at Paragon or R/C, maybe even a Blue 2, and much better than either of the "Intermediate" Trails we ran at CJ last year. At some point the trails will be assigned letters according to difficulty, I'll make another comparison then. If this is truly one of the "easy" trails, a stock Jeep with smaller tires would have a tough time. My YJ made it (31's), but it wasn't "easy"... fun? Yes. Lots of rocks, but nothing big like Chicken Run for example, more like a river rock bed. A little mud, a little mud with leaves, a few trees to go over, but sorry to say, no stream crossings.

Joe (joelove) went with another group... Joe post about the trail you rode.

We were told that CJ just got too big last year, and they had lots of complaints about the trails. With Jeep going to more regional Camp Jeeps this year, this one will be about half the size (Jeep-wise) of last year's. Apparently there will be four trails starting at Jack Frost, and four starting at Big Boulder next door. I overheard (not official) that there would also be a TRAIL "X" ride by invitation only. Really hardcore, and you have to interview with that Trail Guide to be ASKED to participate.

Before yesterday, if you asked me if I'd pay to go to Camp Jeep again, I'd say "no, the trail rides were crap". After yesterday, I'd suggest you go if you're thinking about it. A smaller event with better trail rides will make it really nice again.

All in all, a great day for a trail ride. I left Jack Frost at 3:30, and made it to the DeJA meeting by 5:45... not bad... all downhill helps!

DrJ

• Thanks for the report Steve, I'm sorry I missed the first one. I'm looking forward to the next ones...

Quote from "DrJ"

All in all, a great day for a trail ride. I left Jack Frost at 3:30, and made it to the DeJA meeting by 5:45... not bad... all downhill helps!

Hmm, 160 miles / 2.25 hours = average speed of 71.1 mph, pretty good for that little YJ. :laughing:

• To quote Simon... tailwind good.

The YJ is back in the shop today, I crushed the exhaust where it comes down off the manifold. Once fixed, I'm ordering the Skid Row engine/tranny skid. It would have prevented this. I loved taking the Libby on trail rides because everyone would laugh when I pulled into the parking lot, but then scratch their heads when I stayed with them all day on the trails. I can see now however, how big it is in the woods, the YJ is much more manueverable because of its size. I miss the automatic though, I'm not good with a clutch in the woods and on rocks. I smell clutch way too often.

• We had 7 Jeeps on the trail I rode, 3 TJ's, 1 YJ, 1 Cherokee and 2 Grands. I think the Cherokee had the smallest tires and they were 32's. Everyone was locked in at least the rear. The trail was called "Eagle" for the Jamboree's, they said it was rated "intermediate", although probably a D or E trail for Camp Jeep. I would call it a Blue 2 or 3. It was a good trail, had a couple good rocky sections. Tight through the trees, some muddy sections, couple small stream crossings and you go down to the Leigh River and go through a small portion of that.

We spent most of the day walking through the trail, cutting downed trees and branches, slowly moving the Jeeps as we went. We pretty much cleared our entire trail. Probably one more "working" weekend and then they should all be Pre-Runs.

Again, like Steve mentioned, they are providing more challenging trails to participants this year. I think it's a good move. I'm really surprised that they are offering the "X" trail, which is the Ridgline trail at the top of Big Bolder. Kyle described it as tougher than "Rattler" at Paragon. I've been on it twice and it's defitely a "Black" trail. I'm hoping I can get to guide on that one!! :rollsmile:

All in all a great day of wheeling and working. Weather was beautiful, and I had no breakage! :up:

Joe

• Well, we showed up late thanks to Paul :doh: So we ended up on the easy trail. Oh well, still got to test the new ARB's a bit. The trail was fairly easy. A stock jeep would be challenged due to the ruts and mud, but the one rock garden can be bypassed. Thanks to the new gears DrJ easily left us in the dust on the way home :hmm: Camp Jeep should be a fun weekend for my 5 yr old daughter and I.

Jason

• Quote from "DrJ"

Yeah, sorry about that. I made up my mind to get to the meeting to pay Icky for the tires that did so well.

no problem...

I didn't get to see those tires in action since I was in the back of the group, but Ian sure got some good views from the front.

jason

• To be fair to Paul it wasn't his fault, more of a lack of communication....the directions he handed me had both JF and BB directions, they just happened to be folded in quarters w/ only the BB showing. Since I had forgotten which was mentioned in the email and the BB lot was where we met for last years jamboree pre-run I went with that and we ended up at a very empty and very closed BB lot. Quickly doubling back we made it ~20mins late. My other excuse was that driving for 2.5hrs at highway speeds on a 40 degree morning w/ only a safari top might have caused me more to think about how friggin cold I was and less about where we were going! :rolleyes:

Wasn't too bad though...we managed to clear our entire trail and got to play a little on the tank trap at the beginning (somehow I don't see a stocker making that w/o alot of speed) and had a couple of nice views. Should make a nice scenic trail for some stockers. My only complaint for the day was my own fault. Since it was an easy trail I hadn't bothered to air down or disconnect...made for a _very_ bouncy ride.

• Quote from "jwalk"

Well, we showed up late thanks to Paul :doh: So we ended up on the easy trail. Oh well, still got to test the new ARB's a bit. The trail was fairly easy. A stock jeep would be challenged due to the ruts and mud, but the one rock garden can be bypassed. Thanks to the new gears DrJ easily left us in the dust on the way home :hmm: Camp Jeep should be a fun weekend for my 5 yr old daughter and I.

Jason

slow down there buddy....we all got the same email, did we not, what did it say....Jack Frost.....also who was at the wawa first? but we made it anyway so quit your bit#$'n :rolleyes:

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

Edited once, last by ().

• Quote from "DrJ"

To quote Simon... tailwind good.

The YJ is back in the shop today, I crushed the exhaust where it comes down off the manifold. Once fixed, I'm ordering the Skid Row engine/tranny skid. It would have prevented this.

more lift and bigger tires would work also!!!! :suspicious:

• Quote from "DrJ"

That begs me to ask...

What would it take for me to lock the rear of my YJ?

a lock nut of course.......... :shrug:

• Quote from "cj7taz"

more lift and bigger tires would work also!!!!

Believe it or not, I don't like Jeeps lifted much more than 2-4". There are a few exceptions, but for the most part I don't like the aesthetics when they are lifted. Lifting for 33" tires is about it for me, and most of the time I like the looks of 31's. It just so happens that the exceptions are almost ALL DeJA members' Jeeps.

DrJ (PC)

• Quote from "prm99v6"

slow down there buddy....we all got the same email, did we not, what did it say....Jack Frost.....also who was at the wawa first? but we made it anyway so quit your bit#$'n :rolleyes:

Hey, we both saw the fit Ian had when we showed up at an empty parking lot. I'm not about to blame him, besides my windshield was a mess from following your YJ on 476 so you get the blame no matter what :rollsmile:

• Quote from "jwalk"

Hey, we both saw the fit Ian had when we showed up at an empty parking lot. I'm not about to blame him, besides my windshield was a mess from following your YJ on 476 so you get the blame no matter what :rollsmile:

I tried to wave you in front of me a couple of times...but nooooooo... you kept waving me on. I need to address the crop dusting issue...that will be this week :roll:

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• I know you all think the YJ never leaves my driveway, but here it is yesterday in the woods at Big Boulder/Jack Frost...

I was real proud of how she did, broken manifold or not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!