JKU Buying help

• So, looks like we may be on the lookout for a new rig, and the wife wants to replace the minivan with a JKU. I just need to know that I'm in the right price range and am open to any recommendations if someone out there knows of any for sale. Couple things...

we don't buy new. We let someone else take that hit. So, right now, we're looking at used car dealerships.
    We will be trading in the van...but don't expect much for it considering it's on its last legs.
    We will also have a nice down payment, so I can finance a little extra on top.

Right now, I'm thinking I should be spending around 22-25K for a stock JKU with normal mileage. Does that sound about right? All suggestions welcome.

• go for a 2012+ the new 3.6 engine is much better than the 3.8

look at the build date and go for one built after march (i think) as the first run of engines had head issues (research online for build date)

get the tow package 3.73 gears are very nice compared to the 3.21's (N/A if you are getting a rubicon)

other than that...enjoy. i have a 2012 and love it. even with 33's towing a 3200lb bow rider. (19k miles to date)

• I don't think he'll be able to find a 2012 4 door in his price range. He'll be lucky to even get a 2011 for that. A 4dr Sport (aka base) model runs around $29,000 new (base model, no options, manual everything), but dealers want close to that for used ones. If you can negotiate a bit, you might be able to find a 2013 still on a dealers lot that you can knock the price down on... Adam's Jeep (Aberdeen MD) has two lifted Jeeps for just under 29K.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• There are a few JKs on the Cleavland Ave strip. I think a saw a nice emerald green lifted JK across from Porter. Looks real nice.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Check out "Tread Lightly". I bought my 2012 through the dealer using them. It's a set 1% under invoice. No fuss, no muss. I ordered exactly what I wanted and got a fair price. On the 2012 Head issue, I just hit 19,000 and got the head issue. The dealer gave me no issues and replaced it in 1 day. I had absolutely no issues with the Jeep until the Check Engine Light came on and have had absolutely none since.

PS I'm running 34's (yea yea I know :spinrhead: ) with a 2.5 lift

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!