Do I need a drop Pitman Arm?

• Installing a 4.5" RE lift on the YJ today. Do I need a new drop pitman arm to accommodate for the additional lift?

• i can't help you in deciding (more versed in slinky springs than your crazy leaves!!!) but if a tj's arm is the same as a yj then i still have that one at my house. i seem to remember something about them being different (a centering spline or something) but just thought i'd mention it.
    chris

• dont put the drop arm in unless you lower the upper panhard bar mount so the panhard bar and drag link are parrell.

• Quote from "bmf24"

dont put the drop arm in unless you lower the upper panhard bar mount so the panhard bar and drag link are parrell.

if you mean the trac bar for the pan hard bar.... we just got rid of that shit......doesnt make since to me why oyu need it anyway.... we got hsi jep all done except the brake lines and no pitman arm and he said it drives fine so I guess on this jeep you dont need it.....

• You want at least the front track bar. It will keep the front axle from shifting side to side when you hit a bump. Less stress on the springs. Help keep things centered, ya know. :peace:

Bryan

• no I dont know whyt leafs need a trac bar.... especially with poly bushings.... I dont really think they need one and bbd who was a firm beliver in his took his off....

also before you respond what other leaf sprung vehicles run trac bars.....

• No need to get snappy. Look at some early fords! Hell, come look under my Dodge smart ass! If running strickly off road, who cares. On road use or a DD, pretty scarey once thing lossen up a bit. Gives you more of a stable platform. If your such an engineering mystro, why even have a track bar from the factory? What the hell do poly bushings have to do with anything? :shrug: Absorb minute bits of movement.

Bryan

• I believe he was getting at the fact that CJ's never had track bars and always ran fine.

I've always questioned how much the track bar actually does on a leaf sprung suspension. They are definately needed for coil springs because of a coil spring can flex in all directions as apposed to the leaf spring only being to flex up and down (with a little twisting as well).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I installed the RE 4.5" kit on my 94.. I did use a drop pitman arm on mine, it was part of the kit. In the kit they also supply you with a bracket to raise the mounting point for the front track bar. It attaches to the frame at the same point but is raised at the axle side. I still have mine installed but i did remove the rear one.

• Quote from "B2hi"

No need to get snappy. Look at some early fords! Hell, come look under my Dodge smart #$$! If running strickly off road, who cares. On road use or a DD, pretty scarey once thing lossen up a bit. Gives you more of a stable platform. If your such an engineering mystro, why even have a track bar from the factory? What the hell do poly bushings have to do with anything? :shrug: Absorb minute bits of movement.

Bryan

wow man take a chill pill will you! This is the classic trac bar debate that happens here all the time. Some of you think they are needed and some of us think they are a waste of time and flex. I fell that they are a waste of time and flex so I dont put them on you think they are needed great use it. Like slimer said cj7's didnt have them and nether did scouts. I was looking to see if you had a good reason to put it back on you dont so thats fine I thought maybe you could teach me something but you answered with a because thats why type of answer so you dont even know why they need to be there

• oh yeah I forgot to address why I brought up poly bushings.... poly bushings are harder and dont flex/defelect as much as rubber bushings and this would decrease the slight amount of side to side movement you would get out of the axle while steering......

• not throwing gas on the fire but...

i tossed the front and rear track bars on my yj...after driving it to jack frost and back, i think i am probably going to run that JKS one that you lock in place on road and unlock off road. the drive up there wasnt that bad because I still had the sway bar attached, but after breaking one of the discos and not having a sway bar or a track bar on the way home things were a little loose. no big deal but i figure i will try it, and if i dont like it take it off. too each his own :rollsmile:

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• thats a good question will a trac bar replace what sway bar is supposed to do... I dont see how it would....... tlak to me some more paul as to why you think having a trac bar would have made things better with a broken sway bar. sway bars are made to limit the amount the springs can flex from one another and a trac bar keeps the axle in line with the jeep. 2 different animals in my book....

I am all about learning and I by no means know it all so i am willing to listen and learn...

• No panhard bar on road..... no big deal. No sway bar now that could be a problem. Just look at the job each part does and it is fairly self explanatory.

• I don't see how a track bar would replace the sway bar. My sway bar is disconnected and you just get used to it. It serves as a reminder to me that I'm not driving a sports car (as if I needed a reminder).

Oh....and CJ[size=18px]5[/size]s didn't have trackbars either. :rasp: :updown:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have a CJ so it never had a trac bar. The CJ I drive, I can disconnect the sway bar and not notice it. I ran it without one for a few months, because I was too lazy to put it back on.

I'm assuming there is a reason it's there since the engineers at the factory put it in. But I think it may be there to help people who don't drive their jeep like a jeep; they drive it like a sports car or something.

Like someone said I'm not trying to fuel the fire, I would remove them if I had them, but that's only because I don't see it's needed. But I'm just a Redneck Engineer... (well actually I'll be a computer engineer soon, but that's completely different).

• i posted a response to this but I dont know where it went.

i do not mean to replace the track bar with a sway bar, I understand that they do different things. I just didn't like the way mine drove without it on the highway. driving 3hrs there with a sway bar and no track bar, really was not that bad, but I could see how in extreme conditions (avoiding someone) it could be helpful. On the way home with no track bar or sway bar was an experience. I figure I will try the jks one and i can always take it back off.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!