And so it begins....for me also(w/Pics!) UPDATE 6/13

• I'm taking this 4.3L

out of this 93 GMC Jimmy

adding this NV4500

and this 231 w/super short 32 spline SYE

along with a bunch of this

to turn these Dana 44's w/ OX Lockers

to see more pictures go here

• You'll have so much stuff apart that you'll end up going, "What the hell did THAT go too?"

...been there done that...

Where did the disc brake brakets come from?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The front disc brake brakets came on the axle, a stock early 80's wagoneer. The rears, for the nissan calipers w/built in e-brake, I have not made yet.

• Quote from "sgtpeppr"

The front disc brake brakets came on the axle, a stock early 80's wagoneer. The rears, for the nissan calipers w/built in e-brake, I have not made yet.

The reason I asked is because they look similar to the rare '77/'78 CJ disc brake bracket. I wonder if it would bolt up to a CJ Dana 30?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• they used to have a dust shield just around the bold holes, not the whole thing like the chevy ones, but it was so rusted that it just crumbled off.

• why are you going to do all that work and keep the 231? thats like cooking up a real good steak and dumping ranch dressing all over it.

you h ave to buy an adapter for the tranny anyhow, why not upgrade to a better t-case. i know of 3 d300's f/s.

• Let me know if you get the rear Nissan brakes working well. I have them on mine and am not impressed.

I have Nissan Maxima calipers, and Suzuki rotors, and I didn't notice any improvement. I removed my proportioning valve, and put in the 68' vette master cylinder.

I'm assuming you found the setup idea on pirate.

• The reason for the 231 is because I can't afford anything else right now and I already have it. Feel free to donate one though. As far as the breaks, yes I did find that on pirate. I had to have the 96 Geo tracker rotors redrilled to 6 on 5.5 though. I have Wilwood proportioning valves that I'm going to use and I'm keeping the stock MC for now. The reason being is the big thing needed is pressure, so size does not matter and from what I understand and have concluded is that the stock MC puts out enough pressure for those size calipers. If I were using the chevy ones, or something with a bigger bore that would be a different story.

• That's a 2wd NV, you have the 4WD main shaft to swap into it and the adapter to use the 231? I wouldnt use the NV unless it's a trail rig, it's not a very streatable tranny...mine shifts like a bread truck. I'd look for an AX or a 3550 or something. Just my opinion.

• The reason I switched was because everyone said you needed a master cylinder that was made for front and rear disc brakes.

I dunno though since like I said, I'm not real impressed. I don't think my back brakes do much of anything. I can't even lock them up on dirt.

• Quote from "Mudjocky"

That's a 2wd NV, you have the 4WD main shaft to swap into it and the adapter to use the 231? I wouldnt use the NV unless it's a trail rig, it's not a very streatable tranny...mine shifts like a bread truck. I'd look for an AX or a 3550 or something. Just my opinion.

My T18 and Saturn O.D. both have a clunky shift. It's the nature of the beasts. I consider it an acceptable trade off for a tough tranny. Even though I don't get off road much (o.k....ever) I still don't mind it. You get used to it after a while.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If I were driving a BMW I would expect a smooth shift, but I also am willing to take the trade of a tough shift for such a strong case.

I guess the brakes will all be trial and error but in thoery it should be alright with the stock MC

• Well if you find a solution that works good, let me know. My jeep is my daily driver, so if I don't have brakes I don't drive. I gave up doing trial and error since I needed my vehicle.

Hopefully in the next few months, I can get another car and I can actually do work on the jeep then.

• Not only is this my daily driver, but I am also driving it to cross country to California in a couple months. So breaks would be a very helpful things.

• Most likely you'll also have to remove the stock proportioning valve. I did, then I found some fittings at a shop up in New Castle to just T off the lines to where they needed to go. It was some snow plow shop up near the airport. They made hydraulic lines, and happend to have a few brake fittings laying around.

• I already have Wilwood adjustable proportioning valves, one for the front and one for the rear. I just need to fit all the lines and adapters together

• Here what I accomplished tonight

Passanger's Side

Driver's Side

White Trash engine stand

Crank

Dirty Pistons

Complete disassembly

As always go here for more pictures

• did you mark where the bolts and studs go for the plentum? that was probibly the biggest pita in my whole re-assembly.

• Please Explain. Do you mean the ones that hold the two halfs together? I just put those right back in the holes after I took it off. Otherwise I tried to mark and picture everything I could. So I hope I got everything....If not its too late now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!