Help needed with 4wd in the Dover area

• Howdy gang, is there anyone in the Dover area that could help me out tomorrow or Monday. The differential shifter cable broke (or I broke the shifter) on my 2010 jku today while in Georgetown. Right now I'm stuck in 4wd low. I was told it can be switched to 2wd manually underneath but I'm challenged when it comes to working on vehicles. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thankfully it was a nice day to drive home doing 40 mph at 4200 rpms. My cell is four four three - seven four five - eleven eighty nine.

PS: I tip well or can pay in beer.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.  These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives.  All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.  Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home.

• Sounds like it's the bushing in the shifter linkage. Fairly common, there are several how-tos if you Google it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I think this is the bushing in question. It's currently in the forward position. My guess is I have to get it compressed as far back as possible to get it in 2wd using the normal procedure of putting the vehicle it in neutral.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.  These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives.  All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.  Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home.

• more than likely its the plastic clip on one end or the other of the linkage cable. they are cheep (about .75 cents) they break easily, or sometimes they pop off the shift linkage knob.in the picture u posted it looks like the cables attached properly . take out the 6 or 8 screws holding the center council in place & check that end of the linkage.ypu only have to lift it up about 3 inches to see it.

• Thanks for the advice. I fixed it. I was able to pry the level forward underneath the Jeep and pop it back into 2wd. Funny thing, the shifter level inside the cockpit now has tension again. I'm not going to mess with it now but I will get it looked at this month.

• wish i coud help but my body is broken :doh:
    hope this bump gets you the help you need
    someone near Dover give this guy a hand :up:

• OK, so I fixed it temporarily. The bushing that holds the cable on the shifter level inside the cabin is crumbs. The dealer said they can't get just the bushing and the MOPAR OEM cable assembly is $126. I've been looking on-line and I can't quite nail down the exact bushing. Is this what I need for a 2010 JKU Sahara??? How do I find out the transfer case model? http://www.quadratec.com/products/52218_0014.htm

As always, THANKS!

• try a different dealer, I bought 10 of them for $6.50,i keep them in a plastic jar in my glove box came in handy twice at RC, for me & a brother from another mother. dealer had no problem selling them to me. I have a 2010 jku. the one from qtek looks similar & probably will work. good luck.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!