Fitting 35's possibly 37's on a 72' CJ6

• Quote from "snafu4u2s"

i will use the jeep both on and offroad 60 on 40 off i dont plan to rock craw or anything like that. i was planing to use the stock axles since it has the dana 44 rear and a dana 30 front. i know i def. want 35s no smaller. The 304 will have some work done to it and the trans all i know right now is that its a 3 speed manual. i was planning on running 4.10 or 4.56 at best even though all the techs i talk to tell me i need to run 4.88 but in my opinion thats too low for highway driving. i'll max out at like 45mph and i cant have that. I need to be able to do at least 80-90mph. How much lift would i gain if i do the spring over with the 2.5" kit and the cutout flares. and possibly the 1" body lift

Ok here's some help T-150 w/36" tires & 4.88's = 54.86 mph @2500 rpm that's certainly within the rpm range of a 304. A SOA with a 1"BL and 35"-37" tires is no vehicle to operate at 80-90 mph and is definitely risky even at 70 mph. Ask others if you'd like that are familar with short wheel base lifted vehicles at highway speeds and you'll find that even 70 mph is risky. If the speeds are important get a car and use the CJ for it's designed purpose.

• well currently i have an explorer with 33" tires to i was kinda figuring that it wouldnt be to much different from that. I mean i know its a ford and not a jeep but i is short weelbased cause its the 2 door. And iv been doing some thinking i think the largest tire i'lll go with is a 35 so i figure 75mph on the highway is a reasonable mph. I was just trying to say the i wanted to be able to move with traffic on I95 when i go north.

• Quote from "Reeltitanium"

If your planning to do 80-90 mph in a lifted oversize tired Jeep you'd better get a lawyer because I'm saving this post so that when you kill someone I can provide the evidence of your stupidity to prosecutors in order to assure your manslaughter conviction. And if you kill somebody I know it'll get you the death penalty (immediately) Don't be stupid CJwhat has made you aware of the problems with this do the smart thing.

Quote from "Reeltitanium"

Ask others if you'd like that are familar with short wheel base lifted vehicles at highway speeds and you'll find that even 70 mph is risky.

umm, after your first post even I would have to say lighten up. as for the above one...my jeep holds it own just fine over 75 mph. i think that 85-90mph would be pretty fast also (like i spoofed on earlier in this thread) but more realistic highway speeds are easily attainable. still, no reason for that other post.
    chris

• I won't comment further 75-90 mph is safe in a Jeep you guys are so right what was I thinking?Speed on but,don't do any illegal wheeling or you'll get flamed. :peace:

• 75 is legal in at least three places in northern minnesota (where i'm from). not trying to start any wars....you just sort of came across as "over the top" on that one post. agreed though - 90 is way the heck too fast!
    chris :peace:

• We are talking about a "modified" Jeep and with the mods being suggested and speeds being discussed it would be unsafe. My CJ is probably capable of 90 but,with the tires & suspension mods those speeds would be dangerous to me and everyone on the road with me. We must remember that not everyone that jacks up a Jeep and slaps on bigger tires realizes the potential problems.I've driven those no daytime speed limit highways of the west also but, common sense regarding the handling characteristics of a lifted Jeep need to be used.

• Quote from "Reeltitanium"

We are talking about a "modified" Jeep and with the mods being suggested and speeds being discussed it would be unsafe. My CJ is probably capable of 90 but,with the tires & suspension mods those speeds would be dangerous to me and everyone on the road with me. We must remember that not everyone that jacks up a Jeep and slaps on bigger tires realizes the potential problems.I've driven those no daytime speed limit highways of the west also but, common sense regarding the handling characteristics of a lifted Jeep need to be used.

Keep in mind that he is talking about a CJ6 (103" wheel base I believe) so it will not be as squirrely as a CJ7, TJ, YJ, or even a CJ5 (now that IS scary). If properly lifted with upgraded brakes, It may be "alright" with rolling at those speeds with 37" tires. I wouldn't do it.

I can see his point about wanting to keep up with traffic but I would find an alternative route to work. Wider axles would be a big improvement, as I believe CJwhat? had mentioned earlier.

I'd defineately upgrade your brakes though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• ok well i think i have decided on what i am going to do. For now i will definetly do the 4" suspension since the jeep needs new shocks and springs. i will also do the 1" body since the body mounts are well shot, and probably the cut out flares but not sure. I know i need some kind of flare so i mind as well go with the cut outs for the extra room but i'm not sure cause i do want the tires to stick past the flare about 1.5 - 2". For tires to start with probably only 33's unless i can get 35's on it. What are your guys feeling with that set up? Do you think it will be safer than what i was thinking about before. And sorry for stating 90 i guess 75-80 would be a bit more reasonable but still probably to fast for a jeep. i mean if i wanted a drag car i should have bout one right? :hmm: But i think this would be safer and a bit more stable. what are your guy's feelings? Also i believe the jeep is 101" wheelbase. I would also like either a 33 or 35 12.50 or 13.50 R15 or R16 tire. Just food for thought. I do appreciate you guys commenting even though i might not like the answers i get :shrug: but oh well i don't want to hurt me or anyone else while out on the road.

• if your going with 4" suspension, and 1" body, I'd go with 33's if your going to really offroad it, and 35's if you want it for looking pretty. The 35's will probably fit, but there won't be much room to move. If you trim the fenders though, I'm not sure there are any flares out there that will work with trimmed fenders. Maybe stock TJ flares will work.

As far as I know you can have 4" past the fenders in DE, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

You have the wheelbase to go faster, but you don't have the width. The Cj5/6's are pretty narrow. So some rims that will set the tires out a bit and wide tires will work well.

I know probably not what you want to hear but what about restoring it? It is a CJ-6, which isn't really that common. Maybe buy something more common to cut into and modify for your first jeep.

• i thought delaware was only 2" past the flare. could be wrong though. i have though about just restoring it but its gonna cost big $ and i cant find alot of the orignal parts. I dont really plan on wheeling it that hardcore so i figure the 4" would be enough.

• I'm surprised you can't find original parts. A '72 CJ6 shouldn't have anything unusual to make it different from a CJ5 of the same year. What parts are you looking for? Have you called Jim Diamond (http://www.2001jeepparts.com?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!