jeep leaking

• A week ago my to started to go into the red in the temp guage and it wold blow hot until I came to a stop then it would blow cool. I figures a thermostat sticking and put a new one in yesterday. As I did I noticed the radiator was a bit low so filled it and drove it and all seemed good. Today I go out and I have a puddle on the right side (looking at motor from front of jeep)i of motor. Looked under and the lower exhaust pipe is wet with drips of antifreeze. Problem is there are no hoses on that side of the motor. Freeze plug? Cracked block? I can't see where it is coming from and no way to pressure test here. I looked at the oil and it looks fine as well at the antifreeze in radiator. Radiator is low again.
    Any ideas from that side of engine?

• Check the water pump, when the seal fails, coolant will leak from a upper vent hole. The wind from the fan will send it all over.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Water pump looks good and front of motor is dry. Looked under again and looks as if drip is from oil pan along gasket 1/2 way center of pan at a stud. I know it now and must be running a long there from some place else but cant see where. Almost as if under the intake. Idk

• Cracked block? I can't see where it is coming from and no way to pressure test here.

Sure you do. Top off the radiator when cool then start engine and let idle until warm enough that the thermostat opens enough to let hot air flow in the Jeep. That way everything is "pressurized" as much as the Jeep will normally make it. Start crawling around (watch out for the fan!) and see what you can find that way. Typically you'll see the coolant further back on the motor than where it's actually originating from (thanks to the fan blowing it back).

• Take a good look around the radiator. The factory TJ Radiators have plastic tanks and metal cores. They are notorious for leaking where the plastic meets the metal.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Make sure you didn't crack the T/stat housing or the T/stat didn't pop out of the head! been there done that! :bang:

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• I looked and all dry up front by the thermostat housing. I guessential I will have to put on the lift tomorrow and figure where it is coming from.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!