Calling all CJ owners...

• Need some advice on a CJ, a friend and i went to look a a CJ today for him to buy. the guy told us that the drivers side floor board was rusted out and it had some more rust problems. when we went to look at it we saw more problems with it. to start out, there is a lot of body rust with numerous holes that you can fit a had through, one of the brake lines had broken and needs to be replaced, there is no front drive shaft on it currently, we also found that the drivers side rear shock mount is rusted off and the passenger side is ready to fall off.

on the plus side he told us that the engine runs good and he has had no problems starting ever. the odometer reads around 98,000 miles, it has 4" of lift all suspension lift no body lift, 33" tires this fair tread.

he is asking 1500 for it. i told my friend that i would not give him more than 800 for it as is. my friend wants to know how much he could get a new body for and also how much it would cost to replace the shock mounts all around and the brake lines too. i am not sure what model CJ i think it is a CJ5 but now sure, and i cant remember the year. when i talk to him i will post that on here too.

thanks for the help in advance.

• there was a guy on the board here selling one for 1500 with a small blcok chevy in it.. it is an 81 cj5 .... his user name is 98tj...

sounds like allot of work needs to be done to that jeep your buddy looked at.

• Actually, it sounds like mine when I started. New bodys are around $2500 or so. The drive shaft is easy to replace. But, if it is missing, it raises questions about the front gears. They would be easy enough to swap in providing you can find one with the same ratio. If he never regeared it will be pretty easy to find one with a stock ratio. I have two in my back yard Dana 30s in my back yard.

It sounds like you are right on the money with your guesstimate. Check the frame out. Make sure it has no cracks (look near the shackle hangers and under the seats).

Is he looking for a project Jeep or a daily driver? If he is looking for a project then it is probably a good candidate for $800 or less. If he wants a daily driver then keep looking. With that said, mine could be a daily driver and it started out in much the same condition as you described. It was a lot of work though and I patched my body instead of replacing it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• A user on this board has a CJ7 in waaay better shape than that with a new lift 33's hard top and doors ect for 1500 call bill at 270-4104

• yeah just my thought, the guys said that he had a drive shaft from his buddy and put it in and the 4WD worked, but that is just what he said... i will let my friend know about the other CJ7. he is looking for a CJ not really any model specificaly. he just want to have a jeep again. it would not be his DD he has a dakota for that. just a project.

• Any old CJ, some $$ and TLC you can make a nice tidy proffit if you do a lot of hard work yourself. You can plate and pach a CJ like crazy and it will look fine. A pile of rivits, and a bunch of old sheet metal can do wonders. I knew a guy who used to buy every cheap cd with a hard top and full doors. Swap parts with his 2 CJs, put a soft top on it, resel it for what he paid, then make more $$ of the hard top and doors.

Have fun.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Quote from "cjwhat?"

A user on this board has a CJ7 in waaay better shape than that with a new lift 33's hard top and doors ect for 1500 call bill at 270-4104

thanks Tom, we went to look at it today and he liked it so he is planing on getting it soon, now all i have to do is talk him into joining the club.

i did not know he lived close to you...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!