fm reception

• Replaced my factory head unit about three years ago with a cheapie Sony unit, after being splashed multiple times the cd player started to crap out and fm reception was full of static. I replaced the head unit with a better quality Sony unit. I still have crappy fm reception. Figured it to be a bad antennae so I bought a complete replacement. Although I did not have the antennae mounted to body when I plugged it in I still had a ton of static. Anybody have any ideas??? I plugged in the old head unit and still have static so I know it is not either of the head units. Thank god for Pandora and I Heart radio

• Not positive but thinking it has to be grounded to the body to work properly.

Is there an additional coax that connects the 2 or does the antenna connect directly to the head unit?

• There is an additional cable from antennae to the stereo, I did replace that too, I guess I'll take the snorkel off to remove the old antennae and put the new one on, like you said maybe it needs to be grounded to the body.

• Just a thought that may or may not apply to you! I have noticed when I have a cell phone charger plugged into the cigarette jack that my radio reception drops in half. Just a thought!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I did do led tail lights and head lights, but the problem was there before the light swap. It's got me baffled as all other functions of the head unit are crystal clear

• im wondering if part of it is the broadcast... since "digital" has taken over, i seem to only be able to get 93.7 WSTW. I was actually listening to it at the parking lot of rausch creek on saturday.

many other stations are hit of miss...and don't "fizzle out" anymore, but just "drop"

i have a stubby antenna, so im sure some of my problems are caused by that...but i think overall FM radio has been going down hill for the last 3-5 years.

• I'm with you Dave! 93.7 has THE strongest signal of any station I know. I can get it from anywhere it seems. Problem is, they play the same 10 songs over and over and over and over again...... Sucks! Lol

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I know my stock antenna always sucked and when I got an el-cheapo 6in one it worked much better. That shouldent have really been the case though :shrug: . I only got it so it wouldent hit my windshield lights. Is the replacement you got an oem? Maybe there not good to begin with. I ussually listen to xm though. You could try that, its only like $8 a month.

• My Kenwood has HD radio, witch is really amazing, when it gets a strong signal, if not if fails back to normal radio. I have heard that signal boosters generally help all that much and usually introduce noise but there might be some worthwhile ones out there. A good antenna might make the most difference, make sure its a full 32".

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!