RTI ramp scores

• wow, and i thought i was done seeing the sin, cos, and tan when i left school, geez way to ruin it for me :laughing:

now back to simply wheeling please :laughing: :soapbox: :lie:

• :read: You lost me on the 113 number but looking at your graphics I realized that I wasn't allowing for the little bit of height difference in the "red" line between the tire and the ramp (since the tire isn't touching the ramp at that point.

But I thought the 9.5" had to be subtracted from the distance traveled up the ramp to bring. :shrug:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

:read: You lost me on the 113 number but looking at your graphics I realized that I wasn't allowing for the little bit of height difference in the "red" line between the tire and the ramp (since the tire isn't touching the ramp at that point.

But I thought the 9.5" had to be subtracted from the distance traveled up the ramp to bring. :shrug:

You're too concerned with the height of the tire...it's not the height of the tire that you're scored on, it's the distance traveled up the ramp. I was simply showing the calculation for the difference in score between measuring perpendicular to the ramp vs. measuring perpendicular to the ground. In the case of a 33" tire on a 30 degree ramp that difference in score would be 113...so if you scored a 642 measured perp. to the ground then you'd add 113 to your score to get what your score would be if measured perp to the ramp.

--Ian (hasn't found anywhere offroad that a higher RTI score makes a bit of difference anyway....lockers rule.)

• I kind of agree with what Simon and Quadna said. Shouldn't it be more about the height of the tire than the amount it traveled up some ramp?

It just makes sense to put the angle of the ramp into consideration so that the score is tranferrable to other ramps that might be at a different angle. Otherwise I could travel REALLY far up a 20º ramp and maybe even get a score over 1000.

I agree with you that it isn't THAT big of a deal when it comes down to it but it would be nice to know the correct way of scoring on our ramp.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

I kind of agree with what Simon and Quadna said. Shouldn't it be more about the height of the tire than the amount it traveled up some ramp?

It just makes sense to put the angle of the ramp into consideration so that the score is tranferrable to other ramps that might be at a different angle. Otherwise I could travel REALLY far up a 20º ramp and maybe even get a score over 1000.

It is about the height of the tire...indirectly. :rolleyes: That's why it started w/ 20 degree ramps and gradually moved to 23 and then 30...50 inches up a 30 degree ramp is a hell of alot higher than 50 inches up a 20 degree. I agree that it'd be nice to have a scoring system independant of the angle but traditionally it is only (distance-traveled-up-ramp/wheelbase)*1000 regardless of the ramp's angle.

--Ian

• :hmm: That's always the problem....lack of standardization.

On one hand you want an accurate measurement but on the other hand you want it to be relative to what everyone else is doing (even if I still think they are wrong :updown: ).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• if it makes you all feel any better all other measurements that were done by me and the way we diod it at pa jeeps last year is the red line in quadnas piture....... it is supposed to be the bottom of the tire as measured from the ground.

lets say you didnt have a rti ramp score you can use a forklift and then you measuer formt he ground to the bottom of the tire same thing with the ramp as far as what the difference is bettween a 20 and 30 deg ramp there was a calculator posted int he first rti ramp score thread

here is the link to the conversion calculator again

http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/faq/rti.htm

and here is a link to the old scores

http://www.delawareja.com/modu…highlight=rti+ramp+scores

• That doesn't calculate the RTI score though, just the height of the tire.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

That doesn't calculate the RTI score though, just the height of the tire.

if scroll downt to the bottom it also gives you your score for all the different ramps out there so you would plug in the info at the top and it gives you distance to the bottom of the tire and your score for a 20 deg ramp

• I did see that but you have to guess what your score for the 30º ramp is first. If you calculate it the conventional way of using the distance traveled you'll get wrong answers, theorectically (if you are truly mimmicking having your tire on a rock.

But it seems to be what everybody else does so....what ever.

For those of us who don't get to go off roading as much (or at all :rolleyes: ) it's just fun driving up the ramp. :rollsmile: Driving up on curbs gets old. :shrug:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• all I know is I beat orange crush's stock jeep he had at kahunaville with my stock Grand wagonner.. I scored a 320, I think if I remembered right.

all I know is my aproach angle is 32degree's we figured this out because of the ramp

Michael Slotwinski (SLINKY)
    1993 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
    http://www.firststatecorvairclub.com
    1999 Powerwheels Babrie Jeep Currently driven by my daughter
    Hey you were at the WalMart Speed Bump Climb in 1999? you were the one with the winch, right?

• Yeah, I think the paint is still missing from where the waggy hit it! :laughing:

I should have grabbed Kathy's Grand Cherokee and ramped it since it was at the "Fling" as well.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!