YJ Ignition Hot for DRLs

• Last night, I was going to wire up the DRLs in my new LED headlights. I was looking for an ignition hot but wasn't able to find one that I'd trust not to cause some sort of unwanted gremlins. I was probing around in the engine bay and the only one I found was off of the starter solenoid/relay. It was the canted connection which I believe is for the coil. I don't want to tap into anything inside the cab (if possible), wire to an independent switch, or off of the headlight switch or relays.

Does anyone know of an ignition hot readily available on a '89 4.2 YJ?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Last night, I was going to wire up the DRLs in my new LED headlights. I was looking for an ignition hot but wasn't able to find one that I'd trust not to cause some sort of unwanted gremlins. I was probing around in the engine bay and the only one I found was off of the starter solenoid/relay. It was the canted connection which I believe is for the coil. I don't want to tap into anything inside the cab (if possible), wire to an independent switch, or off of the headlight switch or relays.

Does anyone know of an ignition hot readily available on a '89 4.2 YJ?

I had some small fogs in the bumper of my '97 F250 that I wired to act as DRL's.

I used the parking brake circuit and a relay to control them.

Basically if the parking brake was engaged they would be off.

Unengaged they would come on.

There will be times when the ignition is on that you may not really want DRL's on. :)

• Thanks Keith and good point on maybe not wanting them on all the time. I could run them to a kill switch for them. I was trying to run as short a wire as possible but I do like the idea of being able to turn them off if needed.

I poked around in the bulkhead connector and found 2 good sources for an ignition hot. The orange ignition A6 and the yellow ignition switch D5 (see pic). Had the wife turn key fwd and then start while I had the multimeter on them. Confirmed ignition only hot and then ran a jumper to the DRLs to confirm. I guess if I want to hardwire them, I could tap into either of those w/o any ill effects. If I want to run a kill switch, I'll have to plan another route.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!