Replacing tires Grand Cherokee

• 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo

So my inspection is coming up and I am pretty sure at least 1 or 2 of my tires will cut it close. Its about time to replace tires anyway.

Any good recommendations? The OEM is the Goodyear Fortera HL P245/70R17

Also looking at Wrangler Adventure All Terrain w/ Kevlar and Wrangler Duratec

The All terrain looks good and has good ratings, but I saw something about "not rated for snow". Do the rugged tires tend to perform worse in snow?

I obviously wont be doing any off roading in this, but maybe occasional dirt / water / grass. Snow performance is biggest concern.

Also, do I HAVE to use the 245/70 , does getting a different Aspect/Width affect much?

Thanks

• fwiw
    I bought these partly because of the high ratings on TireRack and elsewhere. I put them on my street Jeep, and I like them enough that since my Yukon's tires are due for replacement, I am putting the Firestones on there as well.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Duratrac.

Been running these in stock JK size on our WJ for awhile now and am very impressed. With all the siping on them they perform very well in wet and snowy weather. I'd argue that with them and it being awd it's one of (if not THE) best vehicle I've owned for use in the snow. Unfortunately we have storm duty at work so I need to be able to get to/from the office during state of emergencies and during last year's big snow I preferred it over any of our other vehicles.

--Ian

• Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am leaning towards the Duratrac.

Do you guys have the LT rated or P rated?

ADDED: Talked to tire place today... the P-rated are on national back order. The LT rated are available. I dont mind paying the extra $$ for the tougher tires (10 ply) but any issues in running LTs on a Cherokee? Rougher ride, kill gas mileage?

• Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am leaning towards the Duratrac.

Do you guys have the LT rated or P rated?

ADDED: Talked to tire place today... the P-rated are on national back order. The LT rated are available. I dont mind paying the extra $$ for the tougher tires (10 ply) but any issues in running LTs on a Cherokee? Rougher ride, kill gas mileage?

I'll look when I leave work....can't remember offhand but I 'think' they're the P's. The ride with the stiffer sidewalls would be affected and it'd likely mean more unsprung weight but I don't think it'd be an appreciable difference.

--Ian

• Did you get a chance to see if yours were P or LT? I am definitely going to buy within next 2 weeks. Leaning towards P, dont really need the heavy duty LT. Just want to make sure they are good in snow too.

• ClenD thanks

Frank - I've read reviews here and on 2 or 3 other Jeep websites of people saying they're awesome in snow. A couple people said best tired in snow they've used.

Im sold. Making appointment.

• Maybe look into these.[youtube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LN8VwD0V4RE"[/youtube]

• I got the Firestones for my Yukon last week. I put them to the test towing my rig to Rausch Creek in the Saturday's rain. I was very pleased with the tires' performance both in the rain and on dry roads on the way home.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!