01 XJ rear wiper and fluid come on when headlights on

• Here's the scoop. My girlfriend bought an 01 Cherokee. Both low beams were out. Me being the bad decision maker I am I figured the chances that both bulbs are burnt out are slim, the first thing I did was replace the switch for high/low beam and blinkers. That didn't fix the problem so I reinstalled the old switch and replaced the bulbs. Low beams now work.
    Now I have a different problem. When I turn the lights on, the rear wiper and wiper fluid turns on. It's my understanding that the headlights and rear wiper do not share a connection in the switch I had out.
    Does anyone have any guesses as to what could have went wrong?

• My guess is the rear wiper switch went bad in the dash. Mine went bad but didn't have your symptoms. Mine would always spray when the wiper was on. When you turn the headlights on it illuminates that switch which may have a bad spot so the illumination voltage is actually passing to the wiper motor.

I will have to look to see if I still have the switch from when I parted mine out.

• My guess is the rear wiper switch went bad in the dash. Mine went bad but didn't have your symptoms. Mine would always spray when the wiper was on.

Mine does that. >:(

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• When you turn the headlights on it illuminates that switch which may have a bad spot so the illumination voltage is actually passing to the wiper motor.

Brilliant. :up: I never would have made that connection.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!