YJ fuel filter

• Over the past few weeks, I've noticed the YJ surging at low speed, and generally feeling slower than slow. So last night I changed the fuel filter. I figured if Jeff's (DEJeepman) son could do it in twenty minutes, I could do it in 45, plus I could always call him if I had a problem. Unless someone broke into my garage last night and swapped my 4 for a 6cyl., the new filter has made a HUGE difference in how the engine runs. A stinkin' $8 part!!!!! Much smoother idle, MUCH better acceleration!

It took longer to remove the little skid plate around the fuel filter, than to change the filter itself!

Got an older YJ, take a half hour and change the fuel filter!

• I can't be sure, but based on the rust and crud around the filter when I removed the little skid plate, it might have been the original filter. If I had it to do again, I'd get some new tubing and a few stainless clamps, just to replace all of that stuff as well.

• Yeah it's amazing what can happen when you are actually gettnig FUEL to the engine. I've had fuel filters plug completely. You might want to get one of the glass style fuel filters so you can see how dirty your fuel might be.

If it seems excessive you should drop the tank and clean. I used an el-cheapo hydroxy-based drain cleaner and near boiling water with a peice of metal chain in the tank. The chain acts as an agitator to knock anything scaling loose. Slosh it around as much as you can, dump it out and then repeat a few times until you feel it's clean enough. Then dump acetone in to pull the water out (or let it set open a few days in the sun).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• hey steve im about to swap out the fuel filter on melissa 2.5 low output this weekend any pointers ive never done one before? where is it at? engine bay, underneath, gas tank?>

thanks,
    kevin

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Its right in front of the rear driver's side tire on the inside of the frame. Make sure you open the gas cap to depressurize the lines. And have lots of rags, because it seems no matter how prepared you are, you still manage to spill gas somewhere.

• Keep a METAL bucket nearby. PBB the small skid bolts, they're small and snap off easy. I think the rubber lines were two different I.D/O.D., but if you can, pull the old filter and go get the rubber hose(s) and new STAINLESS clamps.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!