XJ Spare Tire Storage

• I need some help from you pre-'97 XJ owners...

How do you carry your full-size spare tire? I'd like to put my spare in the same place as the current donut spare, but it doesn't seem to fit. I understand that in the '97 redesign, the spare mount was reversable to fit the wider tire, but that does not appear to be the case in the pre-'97.

On the roof is still an option, but those racks are a bit bulkier that I want and more $$ than I want to spend. Replacement rear bumper with swing out carrier is probably not an option at this point either.

Any suggestions?

• normally if you turn the rim to face it the way that the rim would be on the jeep it will fit i had a 1996 and that was how mine was on there , and now with my 2000 it is the same way

• I'm post 97 but I don't use the stock location. I lay it down in the back (33x12.50) and strap it down. Considered the roof but don't like the idea of slinging an 85lb tire 6ft up. Looked at rear tire carriers and really like some of them but didn't want to lose departure angle. I bang the body up enough as it is. I plan to build a box for the rear that the tire would mount on top of it then it would have draws for storage underneath. As it is now I'm still able to get everything I need in the jeep for trips.

• visited a friend down near Baltimore earlier, and he had a full-size spare mounted where the donut spare goes, the mounting bracket should move a little to compensate. definately easier than lifting the tire to the roof, and you keep your storage space usable.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I just put the Rockratz tire carrier on BlueJII.

Here is a pic from the website. I'll put one of my XJ up soon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!