Overheating WJ

• Hey guys my wifes WJ is starting to overheat on us. It only seems to do it when the AC is on and we are sitting still. She makes many deliveries a week and while making a delivery she usually lets the car run to keep it cool. She's only ever out of the car for 5 minutes max. I changed the Radiator cap and also made sure the fan is working (not sure if properly but it does run) Anything else I can check before going to the stealership. Would the T-Stat have anything to do with it. Twice now it has overheated and once was yesterday and it wasn't even that hot out..
    Thanks for all inputs in advance
    :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• If the thermostat is not opening the engine will over heat. You might remove the thermostat and through it in some boiling water to see if it opens up.

I imagine you checked your fluid level?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yeah I checked the fluids. When it overheats it actually overfills the overflow and then runs out the overflow tube. I don't know if that helps at all. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• Did you recently change the fluid or something? I'm wondering if you have an air bubble trapped in the system.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• No I haven't changed the fluids since like Nov. 04 and we've had plenty of hot days since then. I'll probably end up taking it to a mechanic next week since its my wifes DD and I don't want it to leave her sitting.
    I'll let you know if they find anything

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• you said that it got hot when you ran the a/c system. that jeep should have 2 fan systems. 1 is mechanical and the other is electric. the electric one comes on when you run the a/c system. check to see if that is coming on . if not then you might need to check a fan control relay or replace the whole fan. let me know if not. i will ask one of the jeep techs at my work and let you know for sure....

fred

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!