Steering Wheel alignment

• Thanks to Loki I got my hands on a stock steering wheel from a late 70's CJ5. After stripping it and painting I have it partially installed (broke some pieces and I still fixing those). It looks like the wheel can only go on one way (the right way) because of the horn button/rod has to go thru the hole in the wheel, but when I was done the steering wheel is not lined up properly. I have not taken it apart again to see if the horn switch can rotate around the center rod. Before I do that, does anybody have any ideas of how I am suppose to align the steering wheel?

The old steering wheel

Also I installed a high-lift on my front bumper

• You should have said something. I have my old steering wheel sitting in my garage.

You need to adjust the length of your drag link (bar that goes from the steering knuckle to the pitman arm). It's not too hard to do. Soak it down with penetrating oil and a vice helps.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• if your steering wheel isnt doesnt have a master spline then just center the wheels like you were driving straight down the road and then center the steering wheel. dont mess with the drag link if the alignment was ok before messing with the stering wheel swap

• Ditto, the horn button moves. You should have marked the top on the shaft before you pulled the other wheel. I dont remember mine having a master spline, because ive done the same think. If you mess with the drag ling too much you can run out of steering box before the wheels hit the bumpstops.

• I remember the steering wheel only being able to be indexed one way. How does the horn button move in relation to the steering wheel? Doesn't the steering wheel index on the steering shaft in one position only?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Look at the before pic on his wheel. The wheel was screwed up to begin with so putting it back in the same spot is out of the question. Whever installed it the first time put it on upside down so his wheel was never straight. Trust me i took it apart to try and fix it. It probobly just in the alignment. Judging by the picture, it doesnt look that far off. Mine was much worse than that after the lift.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Thanks for the ideas. I heard that the horn button moves but it was not obvious to me on the couple of occasions I pulled the steering wheel. Also there is no master spline. On another note I got the horn working (mostly). I am going to have to take it apart and really scrub off the corrsoion on spring plate. When I do that I will try and move the horn button. If all else fails I will drive with a cocked wheel (not that big of a deal).

• On the horn, check the horn relay. They go bad and once replaced work great.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• As far as I remember, everything on the steering is indexed. The steering wheel is indexed to the steering shaft, then the other shafts are indexed to each other and then to the box. I'm pretty sure there is only one way to put it all together, so adjusting the drag link is the way to go. Though after saying all that, make sure to check your steering before you go driving after adjusting the drag link.

I took mine to a shop before and they "straightened the steering wheel" and adjusted the drag link so much, could barely turn to the left. I almost hit a telephone pole on the way home. I wasn't real happy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!