AX15 question

• On Saturday I completely lost 3rd and 4th gears. 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse work fine. But I have nothing on 3rd and 4th. Has anyone got any ideas? I can only assume a broken fork. I have never split open a manual trans so I have no idea what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Shifting fork or a synchro. The fork is a good guess though. Is the transmission a top loader?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have not had a chance to look at it yet. I parked on Saturday and hopped on my bike. I will have to look at it tonight and decide what I am going to do. I hate wet rides on the bike. If it is a top loader I assume it should be easy to spot a broken or bent fork. I don't think the shaft broke or I would have heard alot of noise and vibration. I had to many things going on this weekend to mess with it. I was hoping that someone else may have had or heard of this problem and give some advise. I am not sure if I want to tear into it myself or have it repaired by someone that really knows what they are doing.

• I'm not a pro at anything but if it is a top loader, put it in Nuetral before you remove the top plate. The forks will come out with the plate and you will see if they are broken or not.

I have no idea how you would inspect a side loader but you will want to check that the linkages (external of the tranny) are connected and working properly. This will take two people.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I am not a pro by any means myself. I can pretty much do anything on my Jeep except the drive train. I have replaced front and rear gears and swapped out a trans or two but never split one open. I guess I will find out more tonight. Thanks for the input.

• I've never cracked one either but from what I've heard as transmissions go it's one of the easier ones to work on.
    Not that any of them are easy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!