1991 cherokee driveline belt

• im trying to install a new alt. belt on my cherokee that i got from my bro without a belt on it, i got the belt on and it matches the diagram on the jeep but i cant get it tight...the adj. pulley is giving me the problems....is there any other belt tensioners on this thing?? its the 4.0 .... it has a newer engine in it i dont know if thats whats giving me the problems or what? can anyone offer up any advice?? it looks nothing like my wrangler so i have nothing to go by....i tried to get a haynes manual but they were out of stock everywhere i went.

thanks,
    kevin

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• You generally need to put a big cheater bar on the wrench you're using to pull the belt tight and put some weight behind it. Are you sure you have the right belt?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• thats what im thinking, i didnt pick the belt up so i dont know if thats it or not im going to check on that and try the cheater bar idea

• It should tighten easier then that. Be careful the bolt can bind up cause of the way it's designed and if you over torque the bolt it will break. Ask me how I know. Make sure the bolt on the front is loosend before you adjust the tension. If you need a new bolt I think I gave like $10 at jeep. Mine had seized up and breaker bar broke it. Good Luck

• this is kevin aka urbancrawler22 again....i tried everything but no matter what i do it wont tighter up all the way, when it gets tighter the belt comes together and is touching another part of the belt wrapped around another pulley??

93 YJ 5spd w/ 4.10s, 3.5&WCF_AMPERSAND" black diamond suspension lift, 33&WCF_AMPERSAND" BFG all-terrains, crager 397s, alpine mp3 head unit and amp, 4.0TB, K&amp;N air intake<br />2008 Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7 V8 (no mods yet, but prob soon)

• seems pretty obvious then that the belt is the wrong size. i'll see if i can find a number for you for the belt.
    chris

p.s. why do you use mel's screen name? it probably takes less time to log in with your name then to type in that it's you every time :jester:

• i can tell that using melissa screen name was getting to you.....is this better haha....i dont like switching because melissa gets mad when she goes on here and its signed onto my name ooops :doh: ....so the where the belt goes around the power steering pulley and where it goes around the water pump should not be touching??? because this is the only way for it to get remotely tight ill probably go to autozone and compare them and see if their the same size then im back to square one.

• Are you sure you are routing the belt the correct way? This isn't a serpentine belt is it?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• hey kevin,
    in your first post you said it has a "newer engine". did you mean that it's been swapped for a late model 4.0 engine or just that it's the 4.0 and not the 2.5? if it's from a later model jeep than maybe the routing is different than the sticker says? i know, weak, but not sure why else it would be so hard to get tightened down. if you're around dover today come on by drj's place and we can all eyeball it.
    chris

• yes its a serpentine belt that runs the ac, power steering, water pump/fan, alt. well i didnt buy the jeep so i have no clue on what year engine it is or if its rebuilt or what i know it origianlly had the 4.0 because i have the original window sticker for it....but im not sure if it was swapped out or not im probably just missing something stupid because the frustration level is so high but it could be the belt length or the routing but i dont see how it could be routed differently so the water pump runs correctly??? well i might stop by and see if you guys can shed some light thanks for the offer.

• thanks for all the input guys...with a little help and whole lot of luck i finally got it installed correctly...i think?/? haha it turns out the new engine is a 2000 with 25k on it but it has all 96 pulleys in a 1991 chassis...i was trying to route the longer non correct belt the wrong way because the routing was different on the newer models so i just guessed and hoped for the best...so far so good....thanks chris and dr. j for your help.

• already did it as as i got home haha.....AC works great! and i can steer now yay! you gave me the motivation to keep attempting it haha

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!