YJ Wiper Delay Conversion

• Okay so I had this bright idea the other day after browsing the Jeepsareus.com web site and seeing a wiper switch with delay for a YJ for $25. I have the two speed switch and wipers on my YJ and I am wondering what it would take beyond a switch with delay to convert my wipers to the two speed with delay? With a little research and searches on google i discovered that there is a wiper module that will have to be added along with the switch but is there anything else I have to do? Anyone have any insight on this? Obviously if there are alot of parts and it is gonna be very pricey it really wouldn't be worth it to me but if I could get everything i need for $50 or less it owuld be a fun project and a useful upgrade. I would appreciate any insight or experience anyone might have on this topic.

Thanks

• the wiper delay module is located below the light switch on the dash.
    it mounts with velcro to a small plate held on by a screw.
    you simple snap apart a wire connector and insert the wiper module inbetween.

it is easy to plug in the hardest part is running the new switch wires down the collum.

• That would be a wonderful modification to have :lbulb: . The one thing that bugs me when it rains is I have 2 speeds fast and faster :upset: . If you find the site or a link or anything please share, for the better good of all YJ's out there. :rollsmile:

• So from what I have been able to find out you will need some info and three parts to do this conversion and the parts are shared between both YJ's and Cherokees of the same years.

You will need to tell the dealer or salvage yard you are trying to obtain the parts from what year your jeep is, whether or not you have a tilt steering column and whther or not you have cruise control.

The I believe the parts you need are as follows:

Wiper switch on the Column w/Intermittent Wiper, w/o Cruise: 5600 7298
    Wiper/Turn Lever w/Intermittent Wiper, w/o Cruise: 5600 2951
    Wiper Delay Module: 5600 6957

Obviously if you have cruise or a tilt wheel your part numbers will be different. From the dealer the switch is $144, the Lever is $32 and the Module is $127.

I did a google search for parts and sent some emails to salvages yards and got both the Switch and Module for $45. I am gonna buy a new lever because the lever prices used where only a couple of dollars cheaper.

I will update the post and let you know if it works out when I get the parts and have a chance to set it all up.

• I already went and bought all the parts new from the dealer and installed them a couple months ago. Now it don't rain enough to use them. :hmm:

The hardest part is the switch in the column. That was almost enough to make me abandon that project and just get a used column with the wiper delay already in it. :spinrhead:

• :hmm:

I have a column from an '85 XJ. It has the highbeam switch and wiper delay mounted to the turn signal. I got everything working but the wiper delay.

Now, how do I get the wiper delay on the column ( 6 wires or so) into a delay module and then hook up the 4 wire CJ motor?

Any ideas?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It would be great if it works out. I would love to have that option.

Hey Slimer, were was that picture taken?

• Hey Donnie,

I have all these parts on order now and am hoping to set this all up in one weekend afternoon once they come in. I have replaced my turn signal switch before and had to remove the steering wheel, so I am gonna get the loaner steering wheel puller and lock plate compressor thing-a-ma-jiggy from Auto Zone.

In hindsight, can you offer any other hints or advice for doing this mod or think of any other tools I should obtain or have on hand before I start ripping my steering column apart? Also, once I have the parts swapped, are the wiring connections and set up straight forward or is there some kind of trick to get it all working right?

Your advice and experience with this would be greatly appreciated, we all know what it is like to struggle with a mod or repair for the first time that could have been so much easier if we had known that one little trick before we started.

Thanks

• Quote from "Rob"

It would be great if it works out. I would love to have that option.

Hey Slimer, were was that picture taken?

That was taken in Cape May, NJ. They are 4 shops just outside of town on Sunset Beach Road. I've never been in them though. I just liked the play on color.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Steven,
    I'd be better off giving you a hand than trying to explain it to you.

Let me know when you get the parts and when you can do it and I'll come and help. :spinrhead:

• Quote from "Rob"

Is it far from where the CapeMay, Lewis ferry have the docking station?

No. When you drive out of Cape May towards Sunset beach the shops are just outside of town on your right.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• UPDATE: Okay, I completed the wiper conversion this weekend. After receiving a broken switch from the salvage yard in AZ and having them send me a replacement, which they did for free, they guarantee their parts, sweeet!

So this conversion isn't very difficult if you have the right tools but it isn't for the faint of heart that don't like seeing portions of their Jeep in shambles, ie. the entire Steering column has to come apart. Now complete I am very excited about the conversion, well worth it.

Things to have on hand for this mod:
    All necessary parts, new delay module, proper switch and proper switch stalk. Make sure they are all in good condition and working, plug in your harness and module and test them before ripping apart your steering column. A set of phillips screw drivers(long ones), complete set of torx bits, a good set of various size socket extensions, ratchets and sockets, a steering wheel lock plate compressor and steering wheel puller.

Words of Advice:
    Disconnect your battery.
    Disconnect all wiring harnesses first.
    Remove the dash/gauge cover around the column.
    The horn button just snaps on so just yank it off.
    Mark your steering wheel position in relation to the shaft in two spots with a scratch or sharpie if you don't want a crooked steering wheel.
    The switch stalk just snaps in so put it in the off position and just yank it out, may need a decent amount of force.
    Remove the hazard switch.
    Remember how the horn assembly goes together.
    Your high beams and ignition are actually rod activated and the switches need to be removed from up under the dash on top of the steering column. (one nut and one screw) You will learn these two items are adjustable once you get them apart you may choose to fine turn your switches when you put them back together, I did.

The entire column and sleeve comes off together, and don't start this project unless you plan to remove the column because the switch is only accessible from behind the column after it is removed.
    Once the harnesses are disconnect and the high beam and ignition switches under the dash are removed, remove the dash/gauge cover, and start taking things apart from the steering wheel down.

1. Remove the steering wheel, unscrew the horn, compress the lockplate remove the lock clip and plate, unscrew the turn signal actuating arm and switch assembly(it must be moved out of the way but the assembly and wiring harness stay attached to the column sleeve), remove the lock plate spring and washer.
    2. Next proceed to remove the 4 or 5 small bolts from the column, you will need a socket extension and these have to come all the way out.
    3. Once the screws are removed slide the column sleeve up a bit, and then shimmy, cram or slide the wiring harnesses for the turn signal and wipers through the steering column bracket under the steering column (you may have to remove the bracket bolts) and also slide the actuating rods for the high beams and ignition out from under the dash (the rods may require inserting the key in the ignition and turning the ignition to the on position).
    4. The column sleeve should now be in your hands if all goes correctly, and a metal plate will fall out from behind the sleeve, this goes back behind the sleeve during reassembly.
    5. Note the column sleeve should still have attached the ignition rod, the ignition switch/key hole, the turn assembly with harness and the wiper assembly with harness.
    6. Now look on the inside of the sleeve, use a long socket extension to remove the screws from the back of the sleeve. The sleeve should come apart in two halves. Next use a socket to remove the hollow silver mounting bolt that holds the wiper switch on, replace it with the new one. NOTE: Lube the hollow part of the bolt and mounting areas of switch well with white lithium grease.
    7. Now is your chance to remove the sloppy play of your wiper switch if you had it like I did. Tighten the silver mounting bolt down good, so there is not back and forth play but the switch still pivots freely.
    8. Now my favorite part, Reassemble in Reverse!
    9. Once you have it all back together connect the new wiper delay module between the old harnesses for the wipers and mount with velcro or a zip tie under the dash.

So if you are gonna take this on look in previous posts for the parts you need and call http://www.amc4x4.com/ to pick them all up for under $100.

I hope you guys without delay wipers will take this on, this is one of the most gratifying mods I have done because it is not only a marked improvement over my stock wiper operation and a useful mod but it adds a factory option with factory finish to my Jeep that wasn't available from the factory in my model so in essence my Jeep is even more one of a kind.

- Steve

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!