Sunday Wrenching at JeepRubicon's

• Anybody who wants to help is welcome!!!

We'll be doing a 1" BL, 1" MML, QD's, engine skid, steering box skid and radiator guard on SarasGP. I also have a tie rod to install, but I think it'll wait 'til the 2" RE BB comes in. Food and beverages provided.

Come to help or just to watch (and laugh at all the stupid mistakes I make while trying to learn) :rolleyes:

We're going to start around 8:30 am and will prbly be there most of the day. Stop by anytime. :wavey:

I'm gonna let Andrew post the directions 'cos you'll get lost if I try to explain it.

:spinrhead:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• directions
    ...............................................................................................

From rt1 go south till you get to rt 30 just a little south of Milford.
    At that blinking traffic light make a right then a left at the stop sign.
    That will put you on rt30.
    GO down about 5-6 miles till you come to HERITAGE ROAD.
    MAke a right on to it and go down till you see KINGS CROSSING
    on the left.
    GO into the development and at the first stop sign make a left.
    Go around the corner and from the corner house mine is the thrid one
    on the right
    Tan with blue shutters and a big garage out back.It has blue doors but will probally be up
    My jeep will be in the driveway.
    If anyone needs anything else call my cell on the day of ,..............
    302-245-8646.
    or send me an email or pm

• Im going to try to stop by - dang that's early though!

I really cant help much but I can fetch wrenches!

• Keith is correct - start time has been moved back to 9:30. Andrew needs his beauty sleep. :doh:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• sorry guys i was suppose to be in the area today but things fell through (as usual). Let me know how it goes.

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Still in progress when I left so I'll let Sara post the technical facts.

Sara's filthy, tired, cranky, smells like she took a bath in PB Blaster..................oh, you meant my Jeep. :shrug:

I'll post after I get cleaned up. :roll:

• Sorry I missed all the fun, I really wanted to see a TJ body lift go on. But with me being gone all next weekend, and Robin gone all this weekend, I was left with a big honey-do list.

:shrug:

• Short version - body lift went smoothly, motor mount lift hit a few snags, like the belt had to be loosened so the alternator could be moved so the thru bolt on the motor mount could be removed.
    Andrew put the steering box skid and radiator guard on while I was fighting with a lower control arm bolt. I left the directions for the engine skid at home and the only directions I could find online were for the 6 cyl version. We thought maybe the hardware package was marked incorrectly so we just tightened up the control arm bolt and called it a day.

Good news - after reading the instructions for the ESP I determined that SR must just send everyone the same hardware package, the parts we couldn't determine a place for are not used on the 4 banger.

Bad news - if I can get it to go into second gear at all, it pops right out as soon as the rpm's increase even before I left the clutch pedal out.

Good news - Haynes manual says the above can be a result of loose motor mounts. I'll be checking them tomorrow first thing.

Detailed report and closing credits w/a couple more pics tomorrow. :updown:

• You probably can't get it into second due to the body lift. Take the shifter boot off and you will see an inner boot, this is probably binding on the body, you will just have to make a few "adjustments" to it to make it work. This happened to my 4 banger when I put my body lift on, I think it just has to do with the tranny placement vs/ the 6cyl. I just cut mine so that it slid up and down on the stick easier, but another I did it had to be really hacked back.

• Thanks Turtle, I'll try that. I saw that as another possible cause in the Haynes manual, but since the motor mounts were an easier fix, I thought I'd try that first. (Just me trying to take the easy way out :doh: )

I do thank you for your help, not just with this part, you've given me some very helpful suggestions on this whole deal. :updown:

• Crisis over, problem solved. Turtle (and Quadna via PM) had it right. :up: Nick yanked the outer boot out of the console and it fixed the problem. I still might do a little trimming on the inner one like Turtle said 'cos it still feels a tad funky to me. :rollsmile:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!