Inverting shocks

• I just installed my rear Doetsch Shocks
    I did an inverted install with the can up

However I was reading on POR that this will cause the shocks to have dead spots and not function well.

When I rotate my rear axle I may but them back on the correct way.

What are your thoughts on inverting shocks?

• Most modern shock absorbers utilize a twin (dual) tube construction; in order to work properly the inner of the two tubes (working chamber) should stay completely filled with oil. The outer (reserve) tube contains an oil reserve along with air or a pressurized gas. If the unit is mounted inverted (rod side down), the air or gas in the outer chamber can enter the inner working chamber, resulting in poor damping performance. Therefore, twin tube shock absorbers should not be mounted upside down (or on their side), with the exception of specially designed units that incorporate a gas cell, or cellular gas material, designed to keep the gas retained in the outer reserve tube. Cellular gas technology is a high quality closed cell foam material. Cellular gas technology allows 100% oil fill of the shock absorber that increases heat dissipation, reduces heat fade and allows the shock to operate in either orientation.

I've done some research on this before and I still keep all 4 of my shocks can up.

Some Comparisons:

Supplier Shock
    Bilstein Single-tube gas-pressurized
    Black Diamond AT twin-tube cellular foam
    XT twin-tube low-pressure gas-charged
    Dick Cepek Race Series twin-tube gas-charged
    Doetsch Tech DT3000 Twin-tube cellular foam
    DT8000 Twin-tube cellular gas
    DT9000 Twin-tube gas-charged
    Explorer ProComp ES3000 Twin-tube cellular gas
    ES9000 Twin-tube gas-charged
    James Duff Auto Adjust 70/30 twin-tube cellular foam
    Rancho RS1000 Twin-tube gas-pressurized
    RS5000 Twin-tube cellular gas
    RS5000 Race Twin-tube hydraulic
    RS9000 5-way adjustable twin-tube cellular gas
    Skyjacker Softride Nitro Twin-tube gas-pressurized
    Softride Hydro twin-tube hydraulic
    Trailmaster Invader N7 Twin-tube gas-pressurized
    Invader SS Twin-tube cellular foam
    Invader SK Monotube cellular foam

You should be good to go with the DT's. :rollsmile:

• Wow, someone did their homework. Thnks for the tech lesson, it's so much better on here than Pirate since there is no flaming.

I'm probably going to put on the doesctec sometime, when I can justify spending money on the jeep for something other than keeping it running.

• Quote from "DieselCj"

it's so much better on here than Pirate since there is no flaming.

What are you stupid? :shrug: Everyone knows this about DT's!

Just kidding, trying on the Pirate feel here. Didn't work for me. :peace:

I didn't know anything about mounting shocks, etc. When I was looking for new ones, quadna suggested the DT3000's for me, specifically so the rear ones could be mounted upside down now, to save some time later when I add an SYE. Or something like that. Sometimes, you just go with suggestions of people you trust.

Nice write up there Chuckles! :up:

• I had DT3k's upside down and over time they really got shot... Mabye 10k miles? Subsequently, they let my tires cup/feather so badly that it led to severe tire failure around 20k (large chunks of tread flying off at 65mph on the NJTP). Yes, I should have replaced the shocks but once a cup/feather starts - its all over :(

EDIT - OOps, I still have mine (new DT3k's) upside down it appears :) :) Even though I have the reloc bracket and everything... So Ill be waiting for them to fail... again... I'll just keep a closer eye on the situation so my tires dont start the deathcup/feather.

• Early failure is common place with doetsch tech shocks. When the largest retailer of aftermarket jeep parts stops carrying a best selling product due to too many warranty failures, that should tell you the quality of the product...

• Quote from "matty427"

Any problems mounting monotube shocks can up? My Rubicon shocks are monotube.

Arent rubicon shocks just re-labeled DT3k's ?

My shocks are the rubicon shocks that came with the 5.5" long arm lift back in 8/2005.

--Randall

• Quote from "turtle"

They are edelbrock mono-tubes...

Cool, thanks - I guess RE's days of using DT3k's are over - so perhaps I am saved from the severe failures that DT3k's have had in the past :)

• i have 40,000 on my dt3000's..guess its time to see if they are still working properly...this could explain my steering issues and recent 3 wheeled turns LOL

• Quote from "MellowYellow"

i have 40,000 on my dt3000's..guess its time to see if they are still working properly...this could explain my steering issues and recent 3 wheeled turns LOL

Well, as they say - a broken clock's right twice a day :)

I doubt each and every dt3k failed... just mine :)

--Randall

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!