Clicking...

• For those that don't know, this weekend, I swapped axles on my jeep. Today on my way into work, there was a loud click or snap sound when I made a sharper turn. (I would in no way call it a sharp turn, but it's not a small curve either). It happend pulling into the driveway of our school and then again turning into my spot. I drove over to a meeting and then came back and it happened periodically but not consistently.

Seeing as I can't just go outside and start poking around while at work, does anyone have any ideas of where to start. It sounds like it is coming from the front drivers side, but I have the top up so it's hard to tell and I could be wrong. Also, the Sway bar link on the bottom was broken off and replaced with a regular bolt to hold it on, so that may be the culprit.

So any ideas before I get home and start poking around?

• When I first got mine...I had one from the steering stops....kept banging mine..I asked the dealership and they said it was probly jsut the steering stops....maybe there is a way to adjust them?.BUT WHAT DO I KNOW? I'm still learning.

:lbulb: Just a thought :shrug:

• Is it just an audible sound? Or are you feeling it through the steering column?

• I've never seen a worn out U-joint but aside from the dirt, they looked pretty good. Along with the sound, I can feel something banging under the jeep. It's not a huge hit but I can feel something. I'm hoping its a control arm joint shifting. Should we have tightened them with the suspension hanging or loaded?

• I have the same noise after my 2"BB. It sounds a bit like a loaded spring unloading, and it only seems to happen on hard turns with a little torque. In my case I figured it was because of the sway bar links being too long and hitting up under the fender well somewhere. I'm not too worried because my discos should arrive today. It is an odd sound, not just metal to metal, more like a "doink" but duller. I'm interested in seeing if it persistss after the new discos go on.

DrJ

• just a thought - when i put the suspension on, there was a relocating bracket for my front track bar (dont know if that's excatly the name, but it's part of the steering) that would make a snapping sound when you'd turn too hard. In order to find it, I would just turn the wheel all the way to the right and then to the left, and it would cause the bracket to move a bit, giving this noise. Could potentially be that and it's very easy to test.

Sorry i don't know more about it that I could give you a better description, but hope this helps... :tie: <-- no idea what this is

• Steve - that sounds a lot like the sound I am hearing. I'll play with my discos.

Jeff - I have an adjustable front track bar and no adapter so who knows. And this :tie: my friend is supposed to a tie fighter from star wars but it looks more like the millenium falcon. (looks like like my old Commodore 64 graphics)

• i had a noise comming from the front of my xj after the lift and come o find out wear the track bar bolts to the new bracket it had came lose from there and that was the noise i heard be worth looking into

• yeah its possible that a steering gear may be lose
    double check all the bolts
    u should do that anyway after a week of normal driving
    start with the track bar and the rest of the steering components
    i dont think the bolt holding the disco would cause that noise

• i have the same poping but i have always had it so it is not due to the axle swap, i know that mine is my sway bar bushings they started to pop after i put my discos on and i still have it with your axles so it could be that? not surewhat else but the track bar could be it too, i am getting a slight vibe when i hit the pedal now so i think that i might have a lose track bar as well or i am out of alighnment a little but it is only while hitting the brakes.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Quote from "matty427"

Should we have tightened them with the suspension hanging or loaded?

Control arm bolts should be tightened with the tires on and all wheels on the ground. Doing it with them hanging pre-loads the rubber bushings and will cause premature failure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!