GPS recommendations

• If you look at the Garmin stuff the Vista C is a nice unit...the 60-series are preferrable with a bigger screen and more memory but a little more $$. If you're truly a cool Jeep guy, though, you _need_ the Jeep-branded garmin unit with the fancy dash mount. :suspicious: :rolleyes:

Magellan makes some nice units as well...Elff recently bought one if their nicer units (a Meridian I think) which I played with for a bit.

I'd say your biggest decision is to decide what you want out of it...simple street directions, waypoints, and/or storage of tracks. Figure out which features and how much storage is good for you and go from there. Make sure whichever one you get is WAAS enabled for more accuracy and that it's USB (most are) for faster data transfer...

--Ian

• Damn, if only I'd stuck around Camp Jeep to GET one of those fancy Jeep-branded units!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Ian, I'll start looking based on that.

DrJ

• No...you don't necessarily _need_ color, I just tend to get distracted by color and shiny things... :spinrhead:

IIRC the vista comes with a basemap but it's only roadway information...might wanna look into their TopoUSA stuff like the National Parks - East.

http://www.garmin.com//cartogr…pSource/topo24knpeast.jsp

• just a note... I have the eTrex Legend (the model right before the Vista) and it doesn't get very good reception in my XJ. I usually leave it on the dashboard until I need to look at it, using my left hand to hold it near the window. In a soft-top you'll probably get much better reception, though. :D

Another thing to consider, is that under good tree cover, the small GPS units (ie, with small antennas) like the eTrex don't perform as well. Outside with a clear view of the sky, they're awesome, though. The WAAS feature lets you know the accuracy of your position, it'll get you within 15 feet of the exact position if you have a clear view of the sky.

my next GPS will be one with a much bigger antenna, or at least one that I can hook up to an external antenna and can put it on my roof. That's what we do in my Civil Air Patrol mobile command truck.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Was yours a Legend or Legend C? The color version supposedly have the same processor as the 60CS series. The 60 series does have an external antenna jack though, the Vista C does not.

good stuff..keep it coming!

DrJ

• check with Icky and Chris, they do the trek, geo caching adventures and can point you in the right direction.

I have a magellan sport trak.. I love the thing.

Michael Slotwinski (SLINKY)
    1993 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
    http://www.firststatecorvairclub.com
    1999 Powerwheels Babrie Jeep Currently driven by my daughter
    Hey you were at the WalMart Speed Bump Climb in 1999? you were the one with the winch, right?

• It's the "Legend" model, not the C model. My brother's got it with him at the moment, hunting down a geocache in the marsh near I-95.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• i have a gtrec legend by garmin... smashed it under the seat twice (no more protective screen) and today around a turn it flew out onto the road and still works perfect..i use it every day for my speedo. have used it for trips and geocaching

• steve

the one garmin is supposed to be getting us is the 60c

depending on the software you have you can do on road, off road, turn by turn etc. it does not have a speaker, so the turn by turn is prompted by a beep.

the 60cs adds an altimiter and compass

we will see what happens

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• ...and the 60 is B/W, but costs $30 less than a Vista C. I think I'd rather have capability over color. The 60C is another $100, CS $150. Like $249, $349, $399.

DrJ

• I like the features of the 60...plus it gives you the facility to run an external antenna. When I was shopping for units I was looking at the 60cs....the garmin guys offered us the 60c for helping, I guess I can live without the altimeter. :rolleyes:

The units that I saw that had the topo stuff loaded looked just like a normal topo map w/ the elevation lines, trails/roads, etc. If you wanna hold off for a bit they were supposed to send us the topo cd's along with the units...I'll check it out and see what it looks like.

--Ian

• http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10052%2D05

based on the price I'd probably try it without first...if there's a problem with reception then mebbe scrape together the additional $$. I think with a soft top there shouldn't really be too much of a problem. I use the GPS functionality of my cellphone and the regular etrex that I have now and only really run into problems when you get extremely heavy tree cover.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!