2.5 yj with 4.0L throtle body please help

• i have a95 yj w/ 2.5L i just got a used 4.0L throttle body .the problem is when i fire up the jeep it idles a about 5000 rpms , thats with it fully closed . am i doing something wrong or did i get a bad throttle body ???

thanks larry

• you have to transfer the computer ships from the 2.5 to the 4.0 i did this swsp and know what you are talking about. if you dont swap them you get the problem you are having. the chip thinks the engine is a 6 cylinder which needs more air to flow though in order to stay at idle.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• i think its just a piece off of your 2.5 tb that you need to put on the 4.0 because i know people who have swapped them and they kept the 2.5 ecu

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• I did this swap on My 95 YJ.
    It is worth doing !!!!

On the high idle issue
    you need to let it run at the high idle for about a min.
    the computer will bring the idle down slowly and re set it's self

• make sure the TB is bolted down tight

the only thing you need to change on the TB is the AIS motor
    every thig else will gork out great.

• trust me just swap the sensors and you will be fine and do like bbd said and let in run for a but it will go down.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• I did this mod. I had the same problem until I replaces the AIS motor and TPS Sensors. Also clean the throttle body and all sensors very well with a throttle body or carb cleaner before installing. You may have trouble getting the sensors off if you don't have the special security torx screws. If you can't find them wrap the throttle body in a towel, clamp it in a bench vise and crack the security pins out with a center punch, then you can use a regular torx set. It is kind of brutal but very effective.

You may still have a high idle on your first start up but it should go away and not come back after the first warm, the sensors and computer need to get in sync with your new throttle body.

• Help!!!!

Did the swap today and swapped all the sensors, etc. Let it run and it wont idle down. Any suggestions?

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Try disconnecting the battery for like 5 or 10 min, then connect it back up. It will allow the computer to relearn its settings. I also had to adjust the idle screw on mine. At startup I had the real high idle. I reset the computer and it brought it down to around 1000. A couple turns of the screw and I had it down to normal

• Quote from "92WestShady"

I did this mod. I had the same problem until I replaces the AIS motor and TPS Sensors. Also clean the throttle body and all sensors very well with a throttle body or carb cleaner before installing. You may have trouble getting the sensors off if you don't have the special security torx screws. If you can't find them wrap the throttle body in a towel, clamp it in a bench vise and crack the security pins out with a center punch, then you can use a regular torx set. It is kind of brutal but very effective.

You may still have a high idle on your first start up but it should go away and not come back after the first warm, the sensors and computer need to get in sync with your new throttle body.

just so you know.. the torx set from quadratec 3/8 inch drive torx bits.. comes with the security bit in it...
    btw the throttle body you sold me looks really clean thanx!!

• Quote from "BBD"

Make sure you read this thread also

good luck with the swap :up:

http://www.delawareja.com/modu…ums&file=viewtopic&t=8151

thanx joe...
    did you ever get the 4.0 motor off the thottle body.. if you want you can have mine...
    im hopefully doing the swap soon...

btw the quadratec torx set.. comes with the little security torx in the set... and in 3/8th inch drive even... nice little set.. best jeep tools i ever bought...
    rob

• Quote from "rdjp94"

thanx joe...
    did you ever get the 4.0 motor off the thottle body.. if you want you can have mine...
    im hopefully doing the swap soon...

When your done with or doing the swap let me know

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!