K & N Filters

• i think the most important thing to remember about all of these bolt on mods is that what you hear from an ad. is what the company wants you to hear. The number on the box for these things always repreasents the best case scenario they could find. Yes if you put a freer flowing air system on a high revving vehichle that can use the extra air, you may see their advertised gains, but it is just as posssible to see no gains, negative effect, or no change at all. You also have to remember there is a reason that your jeep didnt come stock with certain things. Every part of your vehicle had some very smart people examine the best way to build it, sometimes they are restricted by cost, government regulations, or other factors, but 99% of the time, when they examined the FACTS, they choose the best way to build it.

just one example of an actual test:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog/automotive/1860582.html

• You can not go on "some guy did modification X and loves it" or even "I did modification X and noticed a difference" most of the time.

You can take someones Jeep and have them pay you to add a few "goodies" to it and then let them test drive it. I will bet my Jeep that at least half of them would swear that it felt better after it, even if you didn't do ANYTHING to it!

A few of you are missing the points being made by myself, Turtle, and a few others.

Yes a lot of the bolt on mods CAN make your Jeep make more power.

The point we are trying to make is application specific. Your Jeep.

Yes your motorcycle, or your import/muscle car will see benefits from mods that your Jeep will not, from the SAME products.

Do you understand HOW an engine makes power, where a particular engine makes power, and the difference between HP and torque?Do you understand how different engine technology effects how and where that engine will make power? Do you understand that power must be made differently for one application than it should be for another?

Some of us DO understand. We are trying to steer you in the proper direction for your Jeep application.

There are a lot of factors that determine what modifications applied to a specific component will give what outcome in that application.

Some of these factors are: bore, stroke, combustion chamber shape and size, deck height, piston top shape, valve size and placment, cam lift and duration, induction type, volumetric efficiency, flow path, fuel type, ignition type and output, timing, port size shape and location, compression ratio, air density, air fuel ratio, air and fuel temperature, ambient temperature, ...

The list goes on and on.

What works for one application will NOT always work for another.

Do I expect to see 3 HP per CI from my 4.0L? Never! It CAN be done... hell it can be vastly exceeded! But the cost involved is excessive. I do however expect to get about 3 HP per CI out of a VW aircooled engine I am building.

It is all in what is built and how.

Yes you can stuff more air into your Jeep engine, but it will NOT be properly processed without other modifications.

Yes, you can do other modifications and have that extra air processed, and make more power.

But the power will be shifted to higher RPM's.

The science of how an engine makes power is a bit more complex than you would think.

If your dead set on bolt on HP making goodies, go for it. Yes you will see some "improvements". But all those "improvements" cost something, other than $. Do your homework and find out the real world effect of the modification you are making for your application.

Just remember, advertised #'s are application specific, if true at all. Every application is different. And do yourself a favor... research before you buy.

• So now I'm interested...for a snorkel to really do its job, other things need to be sealed as well, like the alternator apparently...how would one do that, and what else would need to be "protected" to give a little Jeep some piece of mind when crossing deep streams?

DrJ

• i third that. I like that snorkel. Maybe I'll put that on my list of adventures....

BTW I was in the gas station today, grabbing some coffee, and I hear this guy in the backround talking to one of the employees... they were talking bout politics and oil refinerys...

and this guy pops up and says " You know in the 70's they came up with a car part the made a car get 100 miles to the gallon, but the oil companies made them scap it".....You should have seen my face....i know i stared at the guy for a good 10 seconds and said... "What?"(inside my heard)

....umm... yea I'll believe it when "my S$%$ turns orange and smells like rainbow sherbert!"

• Quote from "joo"

....umm... yea I'll believe it when "my S$%$ turns orange and smells like rainbow sherbert!"

i love that movie!!! "You mean Shennanigans???" :spinrhead:

i like the design of the snorkel - nothing to snag when offroad. just a bummer that it will prevent you from folding the hood all the way to the windshield.
    chris

• Quote from "DrJ"

So now I'm interested...for a snorkel to really do its job, other things need to be sealed as well, like the alternator apparently...how would one do that, and what else would need to be "protected" to give a little Jeep some piece of mind when crossing deep streams?

DrJ

Liberal use of RTV and duct tape.

:hmm: Or, you could probably make an external enclosure for the distributor out of a deep sour cream container. You'd have to remove the distributor and insert it through a hole in the bottom of the container. Seal that hole with a tight fitting rubber grommet and RTV. Punch 7 holes in the container lid and pull the wires through. Then put a tight fitting rubber grommet and RTV eat hole.

It's a lot of bother but if you plan on a lot of deep water crossings it may be worth it. I think I'd just find another way around the puddle. :rolleyes:

Orange Crush has an old military Jeep (195?) that had the "Fording" package as I believe it was called. It had special spark plug wires.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• steve's tj doesn't have a distrutor - just a coil rail that is pretty well sealed. aside from the sloshing of water across your fan i'd say you are okay for pretty deep water crossing. one thing to keep in mind is to try not to depress your clutch when crossing water. pick a gear and stick to it - otherwise you run the risk of sucking water in. if you end up parking your jeep in water that is at least as deep as your axles then you may want to look into axle seals for your d30. the OEM shields only keep rocks and debris from entering and do nothing against water sneaking in there.
    chris

• I saw those "seals" last night, not much more than a dust cover really. Keith mentioned the double o-ring sealed "caps" in the q-tec catalog for $129, but that'd be low on my list.

This all comes from me following you guys through streams, three or four of you go with your 35-37" tires and just look back for me to follow. That's all fine, but I'm in a TJ with 31's so I thought I'd ask what simple steps would help me get through with less worry about water-related damage or failure. A snorkel is a realatively easy add-on, and I used to think worthwhile. I might still add one someday, so I tohught I'd ask what else could be done.

...I'd never heard that about a clutch in water...THANKS!!!

This is ALL good stuff to know...keep it coming!!!

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

I saw those "seals" last night, not much more than a dust cover really. Keith mentioned the double o-ring sealed "caps" in the q-tec catalog for $129, but that'd be low on my list. DrJ

these ones are from alloy usa and i picked mine up for around $75.

• You only need them fro the front. Rears should be pretty much sealed.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Quote from "DrJ"

...I'd never heard that about a clutch in water...THANKS!!!

Maybe it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway... same thing for mud puddles. Pick a gear and stick with it, don't shift in the puddle.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!