Calling all 4 bangers

• I am wondering what you guys have done to beef up your jeeps and keep the 4 banger under the hood. I am about to have 32s on my jeep and would like to know what i can do to gain some of the hp and gas mileage back that i had when i was stock. i know i will never be as good stock but i would like to get as close as i can so lets hear it guys what have you done for more power and better mpg.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

Edited once, last by ().

• Quote from "omaha"

I am wondering what you guys have done to beef up your jeeps and keep the 4 banger under the hood. I am about to have 32s on my jeep and would like to know what i can do to gain some of the hp and gas mileage back that i had when i was stock. i know i will never be as good stock but i would like to get as close as i can so lets hear it guys what have you done for more power and better mpg.

Chris the things you are trying to do are not going to improve your
    Gas mileage the two are in direct opposition to each other.
    at you lift and put on bigger tires you increase wind resistance and road friction with the tires.

It takes more energy to get the mass of the tires moving.
    you can improve performance but at the expense of gas mileage.

• ok but what about regearing or a tranfer case switch can that stuff help to put me back at stock performance?

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• ...fold the windshield down. It'll seem like you're going faster.

DrJ (all four windows down...damn it seems fast now!)

• You need to shave weight because bigger tires are naturally heavier and it is taking more energy to keep the heavier mass rolling. You can try going to a lighter wheel. That will help a little but I'm not sure how much. Gearing it lower will make it easier to spin the bigger tires but it will also take away from your top speed. They are probably your best options.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I use my Jeep with 33's and 4.11 gears as a daily driver and don't have many problems, i usually cruise around at about 60, and still have use of 5th gear, except when up hill or going into a strong head wind.

Also when I first got my Jeep it only got about 15 mpg for a few months, then I threw on a new cat (old one was rattling), a gibson catback, air tube, and TB spacer. After all that there was a significant change in gas mileage, about 4-5 mpg more. Even now with the 33's I get in the range of 17-18

*Disclaimer: Actual results may vary, don't blame me if you don't see an increase :peace:

• Quote from "omaha"

I am wondering what you guys have done to beef up your jeeps and keep the 4 banger under the hood. I am about to have 32s on my jeep and would like to know what i can do to gain some of the hp and gas mileage back that i had when i was stock.

Absolutely nothing! :laughing: Seriously though,the single best thing you can do is re-gear. I actually had 4.56 gears before I did the 4.0 TB and the TB spacer.

• Forced induction (Supercharger/Turbo) will give you enough power back to make up for those tires and get better fuel economy [size=18px]as long as you keep your foot out of it.[/size]
    If my old 4 banger holds up long enough :lie: my new [size=9px](2 me)[/size] 4 banger could end up with a Turbo before it's all said and done. But there's more to buy than just the turbo. :crazy:

• Get the supercharger since the turbo does not kick in till the higher RPMs and when you are wheeling you are mostly in the lower RPM range.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!